Warm-up routines

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by B-Flat Cat, Feb 10, 2011.

1. B-Flat Cat

B-Flat Cat Pianissimo User

Sep 9, 2010
    Tennessee
    Here is a question for the more experienced players and teachers: What warm-up routines do you use? Do you go through the same routine before practice and before perfomance? What is your warm-down after playing?

2. reedy

reedy Piano User

Jul 31, 2009
    Wiltshire, UK
    I play from Vizzuttis new concepts for trumpet, some really good stuff in the beginning, triples chromatically descending from middle G then some long notes starting on a G,, going G, F#, G..... G,F#,F, F#,G.....G, F#,F,E,F,F#G etc, then the same going up so G, G#, G.....G,G#,A,G#G, etc upto a C, then the same from C upto G, then back to the desending pattern starting on a bottom C going down to a bottom F#. I then do the 1st 3 ex out of the aurban, very slowly long notes. I then have a 20 minute break and then go into the rest of my practice :)

3. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I do "Trumpet Warm-Ups" by Walter Moeck, then double octave scales, wrapping up with long tones.:thumbsup:

4. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    I have a 5 - 10 minute warm-up that I borrowed from Roger Ingram (that he borrowed from Bobby Shew) that I use before any performance or rehearsal. It starts with lip flapping, then lip buzzing, then mouthpiece buzzing, then some light playing into the horn. Roger obviously goes into MUCH better detail in his book.

I like it because I can do most of it in the car on the way to a gig and literally show up ready to play.

If i'm just practicing at home I generally just buzz my lips a bit and start softly and gradually "get into it".

I don't typically do a "warm down"...

5. EdMann

EdMann Mezzo Forte User

Sep 20, 2007
    Los Angeles
    I make use of the Shew/Ingram model on game days particularly, which I think is what they're designed for, plus some deep breathing focusing on the circle of breath and a wide open throat. Any other day I'll switch from Maggio to Stamp (very similar to one another), and from time to time, some long tones after mpc and leadpipe work. I tend to start up tight and wish to loosen up the stuff while getting the throat open and the air moving.

ed

6. Al Innella

Al Innella Forte User

Aug 9, 2007
    Levittown , NY
    I use Maggio's warm up A,and lesson #1 as my daily warm up. I don't warm down.I just flap my lips while I put the horns back in their case.

7. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    some long tones and a couple of scales. I have a daily routine that is not a warm up rather a constant in my normally very diversified playing life.

8. leftmid7

leftmid7 Mezzo Piano User

Sep 21, 2010
    Franklin, TN
    Some long tone interval stuff ascending and descending I believe adapted from Jacobs. Then some runs up some scales to lock in the upper range.

9. drjeo

drjeo New Friend

Dec 9, 2010
    I like both the Maggio and Stamp warmups, and use them fairly frequently. I have for many years used Arban pp. 12-13 exer. 9-10 and pg. 14 exer. 16-18, played slowly and softly, slurring all. They're variations on long tone studies, but more interesting. I have all my students play these as well. The Carmine Caruso long tone exercises are also useful.

10. natetpt

natetpt New Friend

I like to do some lip/mouthpiece buzzing and long tones with lip bends, finishing with slow descending major 7th arpeggios. Seems to do the trick!!

Nate