Warm ups/ off centered embouchures

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by centerofaTONEment, Jan 12, 2012.

1. centerofaTONEment

centerofaTONEment New Friend

Mar 3, 2010
    Anyone care to share warmup routines?
    How many people on here have off center embouchures? Do you find them to have limitations?

2. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    I play off to the right.

I play high Gs all through the fourth set.

3. edfitzvb

edfitzvb Forte User

Jun 10, 2008
    Woodlawn, VA
    I play to one side, some days more than others. I THINK I used to play in the center, but I came down with Bell's Palsy (second time... they say it's a virus that resides in the body) I could not make a sound on the trumpet for 6 months. I gravitated to the side to compensate on that glorious day when I could once again speak through my horn. This time I did not get ALL of my facial control back. I would prefer to have what I used to have, but I do okay.

4. peanuts56

peanuts56 Pianissimo User

Jan 18, 2009
    Maynard played off to one side a bit and it didn't seem to hurt him at all. Jon Faddis also appears to play off to one side also. I wouldn't mind having his or Maynard's chops!

5. oldlou

oldlou Forte User

Aug 28, 2005
    Grand Rapids, Mi.
    Check out youtubes of Melissa Venema for a radical off to her right embouchure and her fantastic sweet tone and control.

OLDLOU>>

6. BustedChops

BustedChops Mezzo Forte User

Oct 1, 2011
    If I don't play with an off center position I get bad tone and notes distort and break up. Although my range is not good, my tone is...I'd rather work with good tone and an off center embouchure than play with the correct smiling center technique.

I have one front tooth that is straight and the other is slanted...If I don't play off center I'm buzzing on half a lip...So yes play off center if it generates the buzz you need. Some of the greats play perfect center, others play off...One thing you see the greats doing is always playing in a certain sweet spot...

John Faddis plays on a pretty shallow cup...At least his Shilke signature piece. It's absurdly shallow. I wish I hadn't traded it but it was such a sweet trade. Also look at John Faddis interviews and notice his teeth...the mouthpiece he chooses works for his dental structure.

I'm getting closer and closer to finding the perfect mouthpiece... Off center embouchure does work. If it didn't I wouldn't have made 30$ busking on new years...

7. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    My warmup is to take the horn out of the case and play a couple of notes. That being said, I do have a daily routine with long tones and lipslurs. Don't need them to get started, rather to maintain what I have.

My embouchure used to be off to the left, it has gravitated pretty much to the center with no concious effort on my part. Just a good diet of those long tones, lipslurs and easy tunes coupled with a big relaxed breath.

8. JNINWI

JNINWI Piano User

Apr 26, 2011
    Earth
    My warm up is more about getting the correct air compression going, bring up the BP a little. I do that
    by scale buzzing, and don't need the horn for it. I play long enough to get the horn up to running temp and
    by then I'm about ready.

My set is pretty much straight on although the horn points to the left and down at about 7 o'clock.
    It seems as that is the best air flow.

9. Branson

Branson Piano User

Jan 16, 2011
    Anyone care to share warmup routines?

I do.
    10 minutes playing from Earl Irons 27 Groups of Exercises (softly)

How many people on here have off center embouchures?

I have no clue but I know I do.

Do you find them to have limitations?

I do find it to be a problem and I'm working to move it into the center as we speak.

10. Branson

Branson Piano User

Jan 16, 2011