Warm ups/ off centered embouchures

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by centerofaTONEment, Jan 12, 2012.

1. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    I have a 2-minute warm-up routine, which is a variation of the mouthpiece warm-up in the front of Schlossberg's. I play it on the trumpet, not on my mouthpiece. It's basically some G's and C's on the staff, tonguing and slurring them. That's usually all I need to do before I'm ready to play. But if I beat up my chops on a gig the night before, I may need a longer warm-up before I'm ready to play.

Whether you need a warm-up or not seems to be a personal issue, and there seems to be a lot of opinion out there. I believe there is anecdotal evidence that suggest there is a physiologic benefit to warming up your embouchure muscles. As Rowuk has suggested elsewhere, there may also be a psychological benefit to warming up as well.

I play slightly off-center, to the right. I point the horn slightly downward. I believe this is because of variation in the alignment of my teeth and natural position of my jaw. I don't believe it causes any limitations. I believe forcing myself to play dead center would have limitations.

Mike

2. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I play in the center, and there is NO WAY I could play high Gs into the fourth set. I am not worthy... Bottom line and the point I believe Solar Bell is driving home, is to work with what works best for you, and stick with it.

3. bach37

bach37 Pianissimo User

Dec 1, 2011
    I start of getting my air goind by blowing the pipe for a few minutes. Then I play clarke 2, then I go through the chicowitz flow studies. Then some clarke number 1. Then maybe some schlossberg.

As for where my lips are. They are "centered". But just to mention nobody plays "perfectly" "centered". Everybody is different and has different teeth structure. The mouthpiece placement goes where it's comfortable/where it's supposed to.

4. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Once again, the good doctor Mike is right on target. And I, as another believer in muscle physiology, feel the warm up is helpful, more as prevention for potential fatigue, but not a necessity. For each of us, this warm up is personal. For me, I have more endurance if I devote at least 5 minutes toward a warm up. What is that routine? It does not matter. It is what works best for you.

5. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    might as well agree with the Docs ---- I always warm up, because I am afraid of injury if I pop out some High G --- of course, I can't get it in the fourth set anyhow --- so, once again GM and I are on the same page -----having something in common ------------OH YEAH MAN, another priceless moment for KT and GM
    by the way, I usually do scales, some slurs, and stuff ---- more or less just Play for 5-10 minutes (depends on what I am doing that night ---if community band, then 5 minutes is sufficient --if I am doing a heavy practice, I put in more warmup time). Usually in the first 5 minutes I never go above the G on the staff --- and in the second 5 minutes, I just see if the High C, High D feel OK. if they don't feel right, easy, sound good, --- then I spend a bit more time on warmup.

6. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    Great advice!

Mike

7. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Yup, my routine is none. I don't warm up. I may play a bit at home before a gig, but other than a couple of notes to tune or looking at a tough lick, I don't do anything else regardless if it is a picc, Bb, natural trumpet or cornetto gig. Out of the case, into your ears.

8. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    This, dear rowuk, starts the blood flowing and the muscles stretching... and we as physiologists... call this a warm up. Ahh Hahh.... See... you do warm up... Now, how about your shower before stepping in...

9. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    wait a minute -- maybe all great trumpet players not only shower in WARM water, but maybe rowuk buzzes on the mpc, or with his lips in the shower - (like that other nameless trumpet player -- who said he didn't warm up, but yet it appears he does) --- WARM shower, buzzing the lips, tuning the horn with a few notes ---- it's all so confusing ROFL ROFL ROFL

10. BrotherBACH

BrotherBACH Piano User

Oct 5, 2010
    I agree with much that has been said but I am going to take a different perspective based on my own experience. One of the reasons why I believe that learning the trumpet is so hard is that we put a round piece of metal on our lips and it literally can go anywhere. There is no way to plant it and secure it in the perfect spot for the first time of the day. For example, I believe my saxophone friend says he at least has teeth marks on his mouthpiece that guide his placement. I think Bunny Bergan and Louis Armstrong had defects in the mouthpiece that helped guide placement.

For each individual embouchure there is indeed a perfect spot where mouthpiece placement will result in the best vibrations. I think even the minimal warm that the most experience musicians do “also” provides feedback that the mouthpiece in the best position for that day.

With experience, this takes less time do as the musician masters the aural and kinesthetic feedback. Beginners like me take a bit more time but I do have down to between 2 and 5 minutes if everything else is good. But, another 10 to 20 minutes (only) of brief long tones and slurs to relearn how to coordinate my embouchure, tongue and air go a long way towards reestablishing efficient playing for the day, otherwise I do fatigue prematurely. Of course, I can play without that but it is not optimal.

BrotherBACH