Warm-ups

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by fisherkid2010, May 14, 2011.

1. fisherkid2010

fisherkid2010 New Friend

Dec 17, 2010
    To all who read, I searched for a thread like this... but didn't find one, so if I missed it, I'm sorry.

What are some of your warm-ups?

Personally, I start with a long tone C below the staff (bts) and do a Remington warm-up down stepwise with long tones, then I start on C bts and run down chromatically to an F#, then I do the same from C# to G, and so on. Then I do some finger exercises and some Getchell studies to get my mind focused in. Comments, suggestions?

2. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    long tones C below to C in the staff. lips slurs (in the staff), all 10 of the scales I know, and like (mostly in the staff and below), and chromatic scales.
    usually don't go over the G on the top of the staff for 10 or so minutes -- or until my lips feel good and loosened up. Usually about a 15-20 minute warmup depending on the day -- before popping out some high range stuff

3. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I do and recommend Walter Moeck's warm-up. Even has a range exercise in it.

4. 12erlgro

12erlgro Pianissimo User

Oct 29, 2010
    Norway
    I start with relaxed breathing, fill my lungs as much as possible and breath out controlled. Then i breath inn the same way and buss my lips, i try to use breath and use my lungs the same way as the thing before. When i buss my lips i go from C to G and try to not change my lip position. Then i go over to the mouthpiece and do the first chapter in the "Basic Plus" by Wolfgang Guggenberger. Then i go over to my trumpet, and do the second chapter in the basic plus. You can also find that exercise in the "long tong studies" by Vincent Cichowicz. After that i do some Clarke studies, then the chapter eight in Basic plus. I really recommend the basic plus, you have many different exercises taken from other books and trumpeters.

5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    My warm up is a couple of long tones and maybe a scale. Seldom more than that.

I do have a daily routine that is NEVER right before a perfomance.

My personal feeling is that a player needs to be able to be late to a gig and still perform at full quality. There is a big danger if that player becomes psychologically dependent on 30 minutes of whatever.

To learn to jump in the deep end of the pool, you have to practice that. There is nothing wrong with warming up, you just have to also be prepared for the opposite.

6. fisherkid2010

fisherkid2010 New Friend

Dec 17, 2010
    @Rowuk

I agree totally, and that is my philosophy too. But always picking up and running a half marathon is not a smart idea either. I use my 8 am warm up time to make sure I start off right, and I want to see what other trumpet players do as well.

7. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    Hey Lou,

I studied under Moeck for about 3 years (if it is the same one) back in the 60s. Didn't know he had a book.

8. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    Play a low C to High C scale (maybe 3 times with a single breath), chromatic, and maybe a D to high D if some messy slots, and be sure I can then hit my pedals. The Pedals indicate to me that my chops are loose and flexible. If the pedals are not there, then I may repeat a scale or two, an Apeggio, then check Pedal again.

Normally do the Pedals then High C to Low C intervals, D to D, E to E, All over in about 1 minute. Then check the tuner. Most important is to have my breathing settled. Relaxed, supported deep breathing to warm up for about a minute while tuning up.

If there is plenty of time, I will do some lip slurs, and then a jazz riff (12 bars or so) to lossen up.

9. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    My warm-up takes about 2 minutes or so. I do a variation on the Mouthpiece Drill found in the beginning of Schlossberg. However, I do it on the trumpet, not on the mouthpiece.

Basically, I play a series of G's on the staff, C's on the staff, and C's below the staff. I play them as whole notes, half notes, quarter notes, and eight notes. I also tongue and slur between these 3 notes. It takes me about 2 minutes. If it's a bad day, I may take a couple minutes more.

Like ROWUK said (and like most of us have), I also have a daily routine. But I don't consider that part of my warm-up. And I don't need to go through my daily routine to be ready to play.

10. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Well I was a Boy Scout and our motto is "Be Prepared" so I keep my mpc in my pocket always. Weird? Maybe, but if it was good enough for Satchmo, it's good enough for me. Don't forget your B.E.R.P.!:thumbsup: