Warm-ups

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by fisherkid2010, May 14, 2011.

1. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I mirror mostly the same as stated above. I go through long tone pattern starting at middle G in the staff to pedal A below staff. Then some flexibility slurs with the same range, then within a couple of minutes, you're good to go. I pretty much do the same routine for gig work assuming the first tune is middle range stuff. If the first tune is in the upper range, I will add a few range builder slurs.

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Playing trumpet is not a marathon. The analogy of the face muscles to leg or arm muscles does not work. The face and legs have 2 differing types of skeletal muscles (google type 1, type 2, type 2x, Type 2a and 2b). Stretching/warmups and the like reduce the chance for physical damage for muscles that we find in the arm and legs.

A trumpeters warmup consists of things that increase confidence by "reviewing" the fine motor control of the face muscles. It is psychological in nature. That does not make it bad as all that counts is what comes out of the front of the horn.

When reading responses, it is useful to have a couple of views about what is really going on. That helps determine why a certain type of player does what they do. A simple list of techniques provides no context and has no real value except statistical. That is what is wrong with most responses on the internet: no context.

3. jladams

jladams New Friend

Sep 5, 2010
    Georgia, USA
    That is the best warm-up advice I have ever heard and pretty much validates what I do.

Thanks.

Jack

4. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    I always warm up by doing a few minutes (usually 2) of loose lip flapping. Then I check my buzz without the mp and if it sounds okay, I'm ready to go.

The loose lip flap .... don't buzz without it.

Turtle

5. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    Hi ROWUK. I agree that there are mental/psychological benefits to warming up. But with all respect, I don't think you're correct about the physiological benefits. Although, I concede that this is a controverial area.

Here are the facts.
    • The muscles of the face and arms/legs are both skeletal muscles.
    • The muscles of the face and arms/legs contain both Type I and Type II fibers, but in differing proportions
    • The difference between Type I and Type II fibers only dictates how they use energy. Physiologically, they operate the same way.
    • The key anatomical difference in facial muscles is that they are not used a levers to move the bones of the body.
    Given this, let me restate that there are known physiological benefits to warming up your muscles.
    • Warming up increases the temperature of muscles, dilates blood vessles, and increases nerve impulse condition.
    • This is true for both Type I and Type II muscle fibers.
    Let me add that warming up is a controversial subject, even among athletes.
    • So it's no suprise that it's controversial among musicians.
    • So given this reality, I'm willing to concede that warming up may not be necessary, or at least, may not always be necessary.
    • However, this doesn't change the fact that positive physicolgical processes occur with these activities.
    I personally believe that a short warm-up is physiologically beneficial and necessary.

6. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Would you like white meat or dark meat with that stuffing?

It’s, like TrumpetMD says, it is just a difference in the type I/type II mix. And yes the function is dependent on where the muscle attaches, and in the mouth the attachments are rich for and multiple functions. Evolution pressure, we must use those muscles to communicate! Communication is key and we as trumpet players (OK a little bias here) have the communication advantage.

So go out there gang and communicate well, but keep those muscles in great shape, warm them up well as our evolution as a species is dependent on us, the trumpet players. I mean it IS the most mentioned instrument in the Bible. Survival on both a physiological and spiritial level. I'm just saying, Praise the Lord I am a Trumpet Player... Man I gotta lay off drinking these 6 cups of coffee at one sitting.

7. Dave Hughes

Dave Hughes Mezzo Forte User

Oct 19, 2010
    Rochester, NY
    I've heard that Bill Chase spent almost an hour a day warming up. Me, its about 10-15 minutes. First I do long tone Remingtons from G in the staff down until I'm loose enough for a low G, then I run scales up until low C in the staff. Then I run half scales until the G half scale, then straight into interval lip-slurs going right up to high C. Then I do some tonguing etudes. To end I run double scales, then triple scales ending with low C up to double C (depending on the day).

Last edited: May 15, 2011
  8. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    and my context is that this warmup is before starting my daily routine. the 15-20 minutes of time also factors in an equal amount of rest - so the total warm up time of horn to the face is more like 7 -10 minutes.
    The daily routine for me encompasses a little bit of everything - pedals, tonguing, long tones, lip slurs, high notes, various etudes, octave leaps, and a few songs just to have fun - and lasts about 1.5 hours, a heavy day lasts more like 3+. play and be happy!!!!!!!!!!!!

9. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    This is useful info, but kind of missed my point. Real life playing means getting late to a gig from time to time (in major cities perhaps more often). Any "dependency" that we have to get going needs to be decoupled from the playing experience. We need to be able to get out of the taxi, run on stage and nail whatever.

I won't argue the usefulness of a warm up. My experience is that it soothes the mind, not the body. There are days when it is tougher to get going. I am sure that that has less to do with a warm up, rather swollen or tired chops. Again, warming up here just feeds my brain with what I have to do to get through.

I play a lot of church gigs first thing in the morning. I don't get up an hour earlier. There has never been an advantage in my playing.

Perhaps we should concentrate on the fact that trumpet playing is fine motor activity, not weight lifting or marathon running. That also will govern the aerobic activities. Another major difference is that we do not need to explosively add great amounts of tension to "win". The lip function actually is coordination between tension and breath control.

10. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland

:-)
    No argument here. :-)