Warm-ups

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by fisherkid2010, May 14, 2011.

1. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    Just got back from a Sunday morning gig. Warmed up for 2 minutes before I played. ;-)

I may have. But I think we agree more than disagree. I agree with you that dependency on a long warm-up is not productive. And I agree that trumpet playing is a fine motor activity dealing more with muscle memory and muscle tone. We maybe only disagree on the physiological benefits of a short warm-up. That's cool.

Also FWIW, I'm differentiating between my warm-up (a 2-5 minute routine that I do each day before I play), and my daily routine (what I do each day to keep developing as a player).

2. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I've read some accounts about Bill Chase that said he was very annoying to the rest of the band (even the other trumpets). He was always doing something with his lips, mpc, or horn. It would be so bad, they would make him go to the back of his own bus! I was/am serious about keeping my mpc in my pocket. Maybe I am psychologically addicted to it, but I can always warm-up. It doesn't take me an hour, but I'm no Bill Chase either.:D

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Maybe we just need to identify what "warming up" the face muscles would physically require (2 minutes stretching?)
    [​IMG]
    and how to tell that enough is enough.

Perhaps my gift of gab accomplishes everything without me even realizing it........

tobylou8 likes this.
  4. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    ROFLROFL That rim's too big!! ROFLROFL

5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    That's OK, it's just the harmless warmup.

Last edited: May 15, 2011
  6. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    THAT'S lip flexibility!!:lol:

7. Dave Hughes

Dave Hughes Mezzo Forte User

Oct 19, 2010
    Rochester, NY
    Looks like one hell of a tuba player!

8. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Tuba? Oh, I thought it was his lip. :shock:

9. JNINWI

JNINWI Piano User

Apr 26, 2011
    Earth
    My warm-up consists of getting my body ready to accept the horn, deep breathing with compression while lip buzzing octaves and 4ths. About ten minutes of this while driving to the gig, and when I do get my horn out I feel like I’ve been already playing and I’m ready to go without putting one note through the horn. I get the horn up to temperature by continuing compressed breathing into the horn, play about 30 seconds to find my centre’s and off we go. The warm-up time I would have spent on the horn now gets tagged onto the end of the gig instead of horn-time warm-ups. Lips do not necessarily need to be warmed up, it’s everything else that needs it. ;-)

10. Sustained note

Sustained note New Friend

Sep 3, 2006
    Israel
    I am an amateur trumpet player.
    I've been using Mr. Chris Labarbera's recommendation: Donald Reinhardt's Warmup #57
    It works very well for me.