Warm Ups

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by lemonzown, Dec 26, 2011.

1. lemonzown

lemonzown New Friend

Dec 3, 2011
    Ellicott City, Maryland
    Hey everyone, I just have a question about warming up...what is your usual warm-up routine? I usually do some buzzing, low long tones, and Stamp exercises. However, i've been doing the same routine for about 8-months now and am looking for some new routines to see if it helps my playing.

just curious. :)

Thanks!

2. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US
    I do scales in every key I know by memory, about 9. Then I work on the ones that I dont know. Then I do the F and Bb warm up, where you start on a concert F or Bb and go down 1/2 step and back up. Then you keep doing it until you cant do a clean slur down and back up.

3. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    YEAH, pretty much that --- and don't forget the arpeggios on the scales either --slur or tongue, either way is fine!!!!!!!!!!! at the end of the warmup, I sometimes give a scale or two the old double or triple tonguing, to get that tongue warmed up also -----------

4. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
  5. lemonzown

lemonzown New Friend

Dec 3, 2011
    Ellicott City, Maryland
    Thanks everyone!

I loved manny's take on practicing. He is a musical genius.

6. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
  7. tptCarl

tptCarl Pianissimo User

Jan 17, 2006
    Cottonwood, Arizona
    You don't need a new routine. What you are doing is slowly building a firm foundation. Add to this established (and very sensible ) routine with additional chop building material. Go to Chickowiz flow studies, establish a firm, not overblown
    upper register by slowly expanding the flow studies. Bending exercises are beneficial to me and others as they help in
    feeling air flow as well as aperture strength. Schlossberg is a vital part of most players development. Tom Stevens new book is a great supplement to Schlossberg. Thibaud exercises are good to add as you become more accustomed to how your chops are working.

Dont neglect musical material.........and approach most of it slowly as if you are still playing long tones and Stamp.
    Your playing should jump start .

Good luck in your quest

Last edited: Dec 28, 2011