Warm ups?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by groy, Feb 18, 2014.

Tags:
  1. groy

groy New Friend

Feb 17, 2014
    Forever West
    I realize you should do what works best for you, but I'm curious to know what kind of warm up routine everyone here in the TM community does. Do you do the same one everytime? What do you focus on most?

I'll start off by saying I always try to start off just on the mouthpiece. I slur from a mid staff G whole note to an F# whole note and then back to the G. I then rest for a whole measure and do the same thing starting on an F# to an F, etc.
    After I get down to the C# to C or so, I put the the MP in the horn and work on oter various slur methods ranging from low G below the staff to the G sitting on top.
    Once I'm finished with several slur exercizes, I move on to double and triple tonguing; just a couple of the studies within arbans.
    To finish the routine I usually end up performing some of the numbers in my clarke book, just to keep my fingers sharp in all of the keys I must play.

That's it; nothing to write home about. It has worked for me through my trumpet playing career... I'm anxious to know what you guys do!

EDIT: Also, sorry if this is in the wrong section. This looked like the most appropriate place to ask!

2. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I start with a whole tone slurring pattern, and take it slow, take it real slow: G up to C; C down to G; G down to low C - All open. Then I do this all fist valve, then all second valve, then all 2,3 valve, then all 4th valve, then all 2,4 valve; then all 2,3,4 valve; finally all 1,2,3,4 valve (into peddle tones).

Then I follow this up with a fast slur pattern. low C up to G; low C up to G; C down to G; C down to G; low C up to G; low C up to G; C down to G; C down to G; low C up to G up to C down to G; low C up to G up to C down to G; low C up to G up to C down to G' low C. Then I do this all fist valve, then all second valve, then all 2,3 valve, then all 4th valve, then all 2,4 valve; then all 2,3,4 valve; finally all 1,2,3,4 valve (into peddle tones).

Believe it or not, I am ready for action after this!

3. amzi

amzi Forte User

Feb 18, 2010
    Northern California
    I warm up pretty much the same way every day. Single octave major scales going around the circle of 5ths and never getting above a top line F. Half of this is tongued, the other half slurred. Next it's on to chromatic scales, again half tongued, half slurred; single octave scales the first beginning on low F#, the last beginning on 2nd line G. Then lip slurs without a set pattern from low G to high C. A run of double or triple tonguing (one or two major scales) to loosen up my tongue then I'm set to go.

4. Comeback

Comeback Forte User

Jun 22, 2011
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Comeback hobbyist here. I'll share my warm-up and hesitatingly invite critiques (because I sort of like what I'm doing). I start w/mouthpiece in horn at C below the staff and go down slowly and chromatically to F#. I then advance up my register with single octave major scales and long soft tones, paying close attention to sound quality and articulation, and finish with a D scale starting at the 4th line in the staff. I then proceed with practicing.
    Jim

5. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria
    A couple of minutes tonguing and slurring mid-stave G and C - various rhythms and dynamics.

Long tones chromatically down into the pedals.

Arban ex.32 page 34 to blow out the cobwebs

6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    This is a recurring theme and what I generally miss is WHAT IS THE WARM UP SUPPOSED TO ACCOMPLISH and WHAT METHODIC IS APPLIED TO ACCOMPLISH WHAT IS SUPPOSED?

The ignorance of the statement "do what is good for you", bothers me even more. How the hell do we know if what we are doing is right unless we are so accomplished as a player that we can notice the differences.

So with that in mind, let's look at the player in the morning before they have even played a note:
    1) how much did they play the day before?
    2) are they healthy - hydrated or are histamines in their body messing with their face?
    3) how much do they regularly practice? Enough so that a warm up is beneficial or so little that the warm up is just part of the crap shoot?

There are more things that I could list, but you get the jist.

What is the PURPOSE of the "warm up"
    1) get the face muscles loosened up?
    2) check breathing?
    3) check articulation?
    4) show off high notes before rehearsal
    5) get a feeling about where the body is?
    6) go through the licks that should have been practiced the day before
    7) generally annoy others in the area?

also here, the list continues, but you get the jist.

Where am I, Rowuk at the beginning of the day?
    1) I am an early bird. My muscles are generally not sleepy. I can pick the horn up at 7AM and just start playing
    2) I am a creature of habit. I have a daily routine (not a "Warmup") that I religiously perform. it consists of:
    a) Body use check: only when our posture is good, we are relaxed and capable of taking that big breath in a low tension way that makes perfect musical sense
    b) breathing exercizes - air is the source of all sound creation and transmission. Inhale-exhale must be properly synchronized with other body functions. I inhale/exhale several times, then add a small "t" exactly where the transition between in and exhale occurs
    c) replace exhale with play - just long tones, no articulation. Here I find the resonance of the trumpet and simply let whatever tone comes ring
    d) replace exhale/play with lipslurs. This helps me be 100% prepared for playing before I inhale and gives me the security of knowing that my lips will "fire" when needed
    e) simple tunes like from a hymnbook. Some days I focus on "the power and the glory" on others "humility and service", yet others what ever comes up.

After this, I know where I am and if my day is going to be "easy" or if I need additional attention in a specific area (like body tension when I am stiff).

I will admit to NEVER warming up but religiously playing my daily routine. It is not a simple semantic game. It is a complete process to get tuned to my body BEFORE even playing a note!

What really pisses me off when the brainless show up for rehearsal:
    1) no method (start playing "stuff" too loud, too high, too technical)
    2) move preparation to a couple of minutes before the rehearsal
    3) playing completely unrelated pieces to show off
    4) no accomplishment: make the same mistakes in the rehearsal as during the "warm-up"

What to do:
    1) get respect for your body, brain and soul
    2) get respect for others bodies, brains and soul
    3) do not confuse technical preparation with body preparation

The rest just falls into place.......

7. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I picked up Walter Moecks warm-up and it is a part of my daily regimen for the last 4+ years, maybe more. Anything after that is practice.

8. Juarez-MA

Juarez-MA Pianissimo User

Mar 14, 2012
    Not difficult to believe. You can jump hoops and put in recommendations for whatever equipment you wish but as I always say, there is no excuse for a flexible embouchure.
    I'm going to try to do more note slurring on the horn like you do. I really like that idea.

9. shooter

shooter Piano User

Jan 12, 2007
    VA
    If I played professionally and had unlimited time each day, I suppose I would have some sort of warm-up routine. I just pick up the horn and bust out tunes. Some days I get an hour. Some days I get 10 minutes. Some days I don't even see my horn.

10. Juarez-MA

Juarez-MA Pianissimo User

Mar 14, 2012
    I was confused for a second; a line isn't ledger until it's not on the staff. You meant 4th line in the staff. :p
    Other than that, the OP just wants to know what's working for others. Nothing wrong with your own warm up. You could spend more time working on flexibility: scales in thirds, work on slurring partials, (just learned from gmonady) slur tetrachords entirely on 1 fingering.