Warm ups?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by groy, Feb 18, 2014.

Tags:
  1. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I've done this and picked high C! It works LOL! I dont struggle with all the low notes now.

2. Msen

Msen Piano User

Dec 28, 2011
    I live in the Horn
    It sure is irrelevant but I sometimes use buzzing into a Bach 12C trombone mouthpiece as a warm down

3. jiarby

jiarby Fortissimo User

May 7, 2011
    Arizona
    I do soft low long tones on a low C as long as it takes to feel a good response, then I descend (still doing soft long tones) to low F#.
    Then I work back up to the low C and it eventually ends up being a soft slow clarke #1. Gradually I go up to middle G and back down to low c and from the low C to middle C.

After 10-20 mins of this I usually end up doing slow soft lip slurs from G to low C and down through the partials, and back up to G and then G to middle C (and down through the partials).

I end up going middle C to E (slurs, getting faster now... but focus is always on smoothness and evenness of transition, never on speed), then C-E-G. Then skip the E and go middle C to G (always up & down through the partials).

I am working my way out of the basement and usually go next to Irons #11, low C to G/Bb and back down. Then #12 adding the high C. Then Colin style flexibilities (and some made up) that stretch me from the high C to high G. Always descending to the lowest partial.

I'd say that the first 10 minutes is warmup, and the rest more routine/habit. Once a week I usually do a "quickie" accellerated warmup just to practice have to "go cold" and for the chops to respond quicker.

4. Rapier

Rapier Forte User

Jul 18, 2011
    UK
    Warm ups are for a Wimps! Just play until your lips bleed and then keep playing until your ears bleed.

5. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    When you do that, our ears bleed! ;-)