Warming down

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Microtrumpet, Aug 31, 2009.

1. Microtrumpet

Microtrumpet New Friend

Sep 3, 2006
    Elmer, NJ/Fort Kent, ME
    how many people warm down this was a new concept I saw a fellow player doing after a run of Thoroughly Modern Millie. I had never thought about it before. I was wondering from those who do what does it help with?

2. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    [​IMG]

I know you're new here....do a search on this topic, a lot of opposing views.

I for one NEVER warm down.

...and the clients would not appreciate it either.

3. Microtrumpet

Microtrumpet New Friend

Sep 3, 2006
    Elmer, NJ/Fort Kent, ME
    ok sorry bout that

4. RAK

RAK Piano User

Jul 23, 2009
    Kettle Falls, Washington
    Oh please Solar Bell not that picture again.

lol ROFLROFLROFL

5. johnMak

johnMak Pianissimo User

Dec 1, 2008
    Ridgecrest CA
    5,277 posts. This person has been here and seen lots go thru the forum. A live search engine for sure. How many years on this site?

How many vets do we have on the site with posts in the thousands? Is this, "Concern" across the board? Let me search this too. I'll get back to ya.

Then there's us Newbies. I have used the search feature and I spend time and time again reading thru the posts to attempt to find which post in the string answers the question.

The search helps. But how many times must a question be asked before we apparently become a bother? I was told to use the search before as well.

The forums are for questions and comments and statements and just communication between players and friends etc... Or I could (once again) stop posting and just go google my topic ( avoiding the migraine for others).

What is the purpose for the forums, and the ability to post? Is it an unwritten rule or proper edicate to search first anything before we post?

6. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
  7. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Maybe it would help us "old-timers" to be more helpful if we knew a bit more about the player first. Somebody new comes and asks about a concept with no context. We wouldn't have that during a real live lesson.

What about windmills painted green? I am sure it makes a difference if you live in Idaho, off the coast of Mexico or on the South Pole.

Warm-up and Downs are similar. If you are a heavy working player, the warm down is a cold one after the gig. If you are a university professor, you may have more time to think about things theoretical. If you are a young student you could probably benefit from more practice than warm down.

In any case, our face muscles are not like our arm and leg muscles, so they do not physically need "stretching".

The key to playing is to practice enough so that our gigs do not represent an "unusual" amount of playing. We are creatures of habit. Practice sensibly and enough and all of the other "issues" become insignificant.

8. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Maybe it would help us "old-timers" to be more helpful if we knew a bit more about the player first. Somebody new comes and asks about a concept with no context. We wouldn't have that during a real live lesson.

What about windmills painted green? I am sure it makes a difference if you live in Idaho, off the coast of Mexico or on the South Pole.

Warm-up and Downs are similar. If you are a heavy working player, the warm down is a cold one after the gig. If you are a university professor, you may have more time to think about things theoretical. If you are a young student you could probably benefit from more practice than warm down.

In any case, our face muscles are not like our arm and leg muscles, so they do not physically need "stretching". Blood flows the second that we stop mashing the mouthpiece into our face.

The key to playing is to practice enough so that our gigs do not represent an "unusual" amount of playing. We are creatures of habit. Practice sensibly and enough and all of the other "issues" become insignificant.

9. lakerjazz

lakerjazz Mezzo Piano User

Oct 10, 2006
    A lot of warm downs are simple. My band director justs asks us to play a piano low concert b flat at the end of every session. He says that it's good for the chops.

10. Sofus

Sofus Forte User

Jul 26, 2008
    I STRECH my lips!

Every time I´m through playing, I put one little finger
    in each mouth corner and pull VERY GENTLY. I do it
    in several turns instead of streching them fully out
    in just one pull. The reason why I do it in small turns
    is that I want blood to flow back into them after about
    every 5 mm strech.
    It´s not hard to feel when they´re fully streched, since
    it then feels like nothing more happens. Instead it feels
    like you´re trying to pull someting apart that is rigid.

I don´t think that anyone else does this kind of Warm Down,
    and because of that you probably won´t either! I can only
    say that my lips are never stiff the next morning, and I can
    start playing softly right from start every day.

If ANYONE in here streches his or hers lips, please let us know!!