Warming Down?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Agalego93, Apr 30, 2011.

1. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Exactly!

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    A warmup has a psychological aspect - we get prepared to play at our own speed. My warmdown has always been liquid. Perhaps if a player trashed their face during a performance a bit of flapping could provide some function. In any case, we need to be very careful about dependencies. There are days where the whole world is against us being on time. If you can't pick the horn up and run, there can be REAL issues. Also practice on occasion to secure this mode of playing. It is a non-perfect world out there!

3. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Laurie, drinking a cold beer is a good idea as this is close to my recommendation to use ice. So the beer should be VERY cold. OR better yet, substitute the beer with a gin an tonic on the rocks. The sip the gin and touch you lips gently over the ice.

4. tpsiebs

tpsiebs Piano User

Feb 6, 2010
    Randolph, New Jersey
    Rowuk,
    Spot on.

Sorry, Al. I definitely am not a slave to a complete warm down routine nor do I want to leave after the drummer.

You can choose to not "warm down" after a tough session but, then rest assured that your warm up the next day will be tougher.

Different stuff works for different people and I guess we'll just need to agree to disagree on this one.

Best.
    Tom

5. Al Innella

Al Innella Forte User

Aug 9, 2007
    Levittown , NY
    Rest assured my warm up the next day is always the same,regardless of how tough or easy a session I had the night before. I've been working with pro's for 45 yrs. and like Solar Bell said I've never seen one warm down.If at the end of night your chops are tired,how does continuing to play help more than resting them ?

6. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    Sure. I agree that there may be a psychological component to warming up. Maybe to warming down, too.

And I'm willing to concede that warming up and warming down may not be necessary, or at least, may not always be necessary.

However, this doesn't change the fact that positive physicolgical processes occur with these activities.

7. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    We're all at different levels, or course. But for me, this definitely is not true. If I have tough gig the night before, I definitely feel it the next morning.