warming up on trumpet & flügelhorn

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Kang-Ling, Jan 14, 2012.

1. Kang-Ling

Kang-Ling Mezzo Piano User

Oct 8, 2009
    Frigiliana
    let´s say, you have a one hour gig with a free-rock-jazz-experimental orchestra, where you play both trumpet and flugel:

¿ would you warm-up the same amount of time on both instruments, even if you don´t now , if you will play the flugel more then one minute on the show ?¿?¿¿?¿¿?¿¿

2. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    No warm up on your main horn & don't waste the good notes.
    Check your tuning.

That will get everything right for the gig. Ears, Lips, fingers and horn.

When you go to Flugel, check pitch, and play a few soft notes and a few runs - you'll be OK. If it is not for a while into the show that you'll need it, then a lot will change before you get there. Get the main axe for entry sorted first.

3. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    It's not the type of horn that matters. It is your lips. The length of the gig does not matter either. If you are warmed up properly, you will be better prepared to play any gig on any horn. How long? Long enough to get the blood flowing and stretch started in your muscle fibers. For me, that takes 5-10 minutes of intelligent warm up. Trust me on this advice; I am a physician.

4. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    One Word that strikes FEAR into the Toughest Man in 2 situations ... The Barber & The Surgeon

"Oops...."

5. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    I don't think that there is one standard warmup that works for everyone. Some guys start with long tones. Some scales. Some petal tones, etc. The length of the warmup is whatever is needed to get the chops lose and responding like they should during your best playing. When I was a kid I was taught to play about a minute, put the horn down for a couple minutes, then come back to it. Repeat until you were playing well. Start with easy, slow, low stuff and build from there.
    Today there seems to be a move toward almost no warm up. When I recently started playing with a community band, (after a 30 year hiatus from playing) I got some strange looks when I first did a 15 minute warm up. Most pull the horn out of the case, play a few notes for one minute and are ready.

Back in the early 90s I was fortunate to sit in the warmup room with Maynards band. They warmed up for over 30 minutes. More of what I would have expected.

Anyway, interesting thread. I looking forward to seeing what others say.

6. Kang-Ling

Kang-Ling Mezzo Piano User

Oct 8, 2009
    Frigiliana
    so you can warmup on a watering can, and then play a concert on piccolo ??

perhaps, it´s possible to warmup without any instrument, just buzzing, but I need to "feel" the instrument, and every horn feels different...

7. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    A warm up consists of enough playing to convince your brain that everything is working. The actual act of getting blood flowing is really quite minor and the muscles do not appreciably "loosen up" when playing. This means that every player has to find THEIR amount of time to get in tune with their bodies. That is different depending on your background. It isn't even really worth arguing about as the entire psyche is involved and that simply is the way it is.

8. edfitzvb

edfitzvb Forte User

Jun 10, 2008
    Woodlawn, VA
    Like many others, I am most successful with a very brief warmup before a rehearsal PROVIDED THAT I have played earlier and am confident that my body will rspond as I ask it to. Once again, the psyche is a powerful beast. Confidence is key here. I don't play well if I am not relaxed.

9. graysono

graysono Mezzo Forte User

Jan 22, 2007
    Hyde Park, Utah
    And then there are those (how many, I don't know) like James Morrison who say that they don't need to warm up at all!

10. Darten

Darten Mezzo Piano User

Dec 21, 2009
    New York City
    Jsut play a couple of quiet notes on the flugel, nothing worse then completely dropping your intonation on the first note, only to get it back in front of an audience, three notes later.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2012