Warmups

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by audwey11, Dec 22, 2015.

1. audwey11

audwey11 Pianissimo User

Dec 1, 2015
    Maine
    Hello!
    I am a freshman in high school and I would like to know what the best way to warm up is. In my band, we often do lip slurs, some long tones and a new scale based on the circle of fifths. What is the best method to use at home when I am practicing?

2. Dennis78

Dennis78 Fortissimo User

Feb 1, 2015
    Cincinnati
    Same thing you do at school

3. Msen

Msen Piano User

Dec 28, 2011
    I live in the Horn
    Nowadays, I'll play a melody with notes starting from E in the staff all the way down to F#.

I always start with long tones

4. trumpetsplus

trumpetsplus Fortissimo User

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    The most important thing in my opinion, is to have your lips set firmly together for the very first note you play. Then play through something like my "Reflections" exercise which starts on 2nd line G and expands to 2 octaves. Touch the extremes of your range, then you are done.

Anything that takes more then 5 minutes is practice - not warmup.

5. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I've used Walter Moeck's warm up for years. It includes all the basic elements and a range exercise at the end.

6. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    For my warm-up, from G I begin a chromatic descent to a as low as I can and then an ascent to as high as I can, down and up over and over, introducing long notes, lip slurs and other variations as I go, such as speed. At a point of comfortable satisfaction my warm-up is over and such has no time criteria. I've had many times where I just quit and put my instrument back in its case until later. But later has come ... up to now ... but ...

7. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Ivan pretty much hits the nail on the head IMO, although I will say that when I was in HS, I used to really abuse my lips - I used a TON of pressure - so sometimes working through the soreness the following day took a bit longer than 5 minutes before my chops started to feel like they wanted to work right.

With that said, here's a little bit by renowned trumpeter James Morrison with his philosophy on warming up, which is pretty close to Ivan's. I'm not quite there with James - I think that sometimes you do need to get the muscles moving first, but I'm eye-to-eye with Ivan - 5 minutes gets things moving correctly, and anything more than that can be detrimental.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jgzLg5wOgWI

8. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I'm waiting for Solar Bell to mention his pro buddy (name escapes me) that warms up for 2 hours. I actually play better at the end of a rehearsal than at the beginning. Maybe I need to warm up more. :roll:

Also, some pros don't do any warm up!

It really boils down to what works for you.

9. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    That's pretty much what Morrison says too - his philosophy is that the physical part of the warmup doesn't take very long, but mentally, it can take some folks a bit longer, and that the people who do a longer warmup are doing so to get their mind set up for playing.

I typically do some easy playing, some basic lip flexibilities, some articulation - blowing through certain scales and patterns - probably about 5-7 minutes worth. When I was a military bandsman I kind of got used to an abbreviated warmup - we were gigging so much it was mostly a matter only doing enough to get the chops moving, and then the first march was the rest of the warmup. :-)

10. BrassBandMajor

BrassBandMajor Fortissimo User

Jan 13, 2015
    London
    Well said sir!