Warning against...

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by SpiritDCI08, Apr 1, 2009.

1. SpiritDCI08

SpiritDCI08 Piano User

Feb 11, 2009
    Fort Campbell, KY
    Bachshop on Ebay.
    I just recieved my King 601 from them and I'm not too pleased. The horn from a distance looks like an amazing horn. But, the closer you get the more and more you see inperfections. The valve buttons and uneven, there are what looks like scorch marks, the finish is uneven on the valve case, and scratchs on the bell. Maybe I'm being too hard on this fellow. But he advertised a perfect horn.
    And I got a question, I was trying it out last night and I noticed that the higher I went the flater it got. Is this the horn or is it me? It's kind of bumming me out, that's the problem I just experienced with the chinese horn.:-(
    Any help would be nice.

2. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    ebay ........

Let the buyer beware.

Unless you are an expert, and 99.99% of us are NOT.....you have to be very careful.

Do NOT believe what the ad states, ie: a perfect horn.

Check out the feedback and read the negative comments.

Be prepared to get some dogs.

You CAN take a seller to court if you can PROVE beyond a shadow of a doubt the the seller intended to defraud.

3. SpiritDCI08

SpiritDCI08 Piano User

Feb 11, 2009
    Fort Campbell, KY
    yeah, he used a different horn in the picture to advertise it
    very true about not getting what you wanted
    on the other hand
    it was reasonable in price

4. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    If he used another horn to advertise it then you have a winning case to get your money back

5. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    You have to be really careful about Ebay purchases. Some sellers will try to be slick and use weird camera angles to hide imperfections. I was interested in a vintage horn that was listed as great condition other than some dings and scratches. I asked the seller about what appeared to be a bend in the leadpipe in one and she said upon closer inspection there appears to be a "slight" bend to the horn. It wasn't slight. Unless I specifically asked about it she would not have offered it.

In your case I would contact the seller and at a minimum leave very direct negative feedback if he doesn't make things right. Bait and switch is against the rules so you should call him on it.

The horn playing flat in the upper register is another story. Unless the seller is a pro it would be difficult to set expectations on the horn's performance above the staff. You said that you experienced the same thing with a Chinese horn, so is it possible that it's something with your chops?

6. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    I just took a look on e-bay and I'd recommend reaching out to the seller. He has nothing but positive feedback and offers a 6 month 100% warranty:

"READ MY FEEDBACK AND LOOK AT THE PICTURES OF OUR TRUMPETS AND REMEMBER WE WARRANTY THEM 100% FOR 6 MONTHS. IF YOUR STILL IN DOUBT CALL ME AND I'LL BE GLAD TO ANSWER ANY QUESTIONS YOU MAY HAVE NO MATTER WHERE YOU PURCHASE YOUR TRUMPET.

ALL OUR INSTRUMENTS ARE REFINISHED IN OUR OWN SHOP. WE TRY VERY HARD TO SELL ONLY THE BEST. WE MAKE MISTAKES BUT WE ALSO CORRECT THEM BECAUSE WE TAKE CARE OF OUR CUSTOMERS AFTER THE SALE. LOOK AT OUR FEEDBACK AND YOU'LL SEE THE CUSTOMER COMES FIRST WITH US. EVERY TRUMPET WE SELL WE WARRANTY TO BE AS LISTED. WE DON'T HAVE TO SEND OUR WORK TO AN ANOTHER SHOP TO BE WORKED ON, ANY PROBLEM IS TAKEN CARE OF RIGHT AWAY BY US.
    PHONE - WITH ANY QUESTIONS

ASK FOR THE "OLD FELLA"
    THANK YOU FOR TAKING THE TIME TO READ THIS.
    HAVE A GREAT TOMORROW, GOD BLESS"

Sounds like someone who will make good on the purchase.

7. SpiritDCI08

SpiritDCI08 Piano User

Feb 11, 2009
    Fort Campbell, KY
    After playing it in my jazz ensemble I decided not to down it anymore.
    It's a really good sounding horn

8. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    That's great news. At the and of the day it's much more important how it plays than how it looks.

I still think you should contact the seller if he sent you a different horn (even if it's the same model). If it was an "honest' mistake then he sent the wrong horn to someone else as well...

9. fozz

fozz New Friend

Oct 6, 2009
    Mississippi
    ALL OUR INSTRUMENTS ARE RESTORED IN OUR OWN SHOP. WE TRY VERY HARD TO SELL ONLY THE BEST. WE MAKE MISTAKES BUT WE ALSO CORRECT THEM BECAUSE WE TAKE CARE OF OUR CUSTOMERS AFTER THE SALE. LOOK AT OUR FEEDBACK AND YOU'LL SEE THE CUSTOMER COMES FIRST WITH US. EVERY TRUMPET WE SELL WE WARRANTY TO BE AS LISTED. WE DON'T HAVE TO SEND OUR WORK TO AN ANOTHER SHOP TO BE WORKED ON, ANY PROBLEM IS TAKEN CARE OF RIGHT AWAY BY US.

Over 1950 ratings all positive. Says a lot to me.

10. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    good to hear it is resolved