Warning against...

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by SpiritDCI08, Apr 1, 2009.

1. SpiritDCI08

SpiritDCI08 Piano User

Feb 11, 2009
    Fort Campbell, KY
    This is a very old forum.
    Since then I've had two braces break and my valves needed some work.
    Over $200 in repairs which is half of it's original value.

2. fozz

fozz New Friend

Oct 6, 2009
    Mississippi
    Did you ever contact the seller?

Please don't take my question as being combative. It is not meant that way.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2009
  3. SpiritDCI08

SpiritDCI08 Piano User

Feb 11, 2009
    Fort Campbell, KY
    No, I accept responsibility for my actions of buying off Ebay.
    Maybe it's just this particular horn, for all I know his other horns could be fine.
    I've had it for a year now, and other than the weak braces and small scratches,
    it's a fine horn.

4. fozz

fozz New Friend

Oct 6, 2009
    Mississippi
    I'm glad you found a horn you like warts and all. That is really what's important.

I have bought several trumpets off of ebay and have only had one that I was less that pleased with. After I emailed the seller they agreed to rebate part of the purchase price. I kept the horn and am very happy with it. Overall I've had good experiences with ebay. I wish your's had been a little better.

5. Hoosier303

Hoosier303 Pianissimo User

Nov 2, 2008
    Indiana
    I've been a buyer and seller on Ebay for nearly 10 years and the one thing that I've learned is that I will never bid on something that doesn't show photos of the actual item.

6. dhbailey

dhbailey Piano User

Jul 28, 2009
    New Hampshire
    If you were "less than pleased with" an instrument, how can you turn around and say you are "very happy with it?" Don't you feel guilty about talking the person into refunding part of the price you had previously agreed to pay for this instrument since you are very happy with it? I don't get it.

7. fozz

fozz New Friend

Oct 6, 2009
    Mississippi
    I don't feel bad at all. The horn had a problem with a valve. I took it to my local tech and he fixed it. The seller refunded my cost.

Why would I feel bad about that?

I love the trumpet. I'm happy and the seller is happy in that he would have spent at least what the repair cost in shipping and his time.

8. dhbailey

dhbailey Piano User

Jul 28, 2009
    New Hampshire
    Ah -- I was replying with incomplete information. You didn't make it clear why you were initially unhappy about the horn. Now I understand and feel silly for raising the issue at all.:oops:

9. fozz

fozz New Friend

Oct 6, 2009
    Mississippi
    Sorry if i wasn't clear.

I have that down to an art.

10. buddyburris

buddyburris New Friend

Aug 20, 2008
    Tennessee
    Lets address the horn being tight in the upper register - when the valve pads are changed it is fairly rare that they are replaced with the correct size - these pads set the valve alignment and if the ports do not line up correctly you will experience resistance in the upper register and usually a stuffiness in the mid range - if the horn is the love of your life send it out to Bob Reeves Brass in L.A. for an alignment.