Warning against...

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by SpiritDCI08, Apr 1, 2009.

1. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Posting to a three year old thread is essentially useless.

You have to be a pretty accomplished player to notice the usual valve alignment issues. The fact that a horn gets flatter the higher you go has more to do with a catastrophic match of the mouthpiece to the horn than anything else.

2. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Many good points here and I am glad now that everything is working out now for the OP even if it was back in the remote past.

But this can still be a learning experience for putting our minds at ease, AND putting in a great plug for TM is a good resource for scoping things out. I found a Martin Committee on Ebay and was unsure as to whether it was as pristine as it appeared. I had the FABULOUS help of OUR Chuck Cox who went to bat (with his Ebay expertise) to check on the horn AND advise as to how to proceed. I also would not have bid on the horn had it not had the 7 day return guarantee, that is important as a way out when putting down some serious money.

In my case, I got the real deal, even got the seller to come down by over $1,000 by emailing with the seller and then pressing the "buy it now" button when the re-pricing was posted, JUST as the reputable sales firm said they would do. Seriously, if it wasn't for our TM advisors here, it would NEVER have gone down this smooth.

AND CHUCK COX NEVER asked for a percentage of that $1,000 he saved me... that's the kind of guy he is!

Last edited: Mar 11, 2012
  3. buddyburris

buddyburris New Friend

Aug 20, 2008
    Tennessee
    I would assume you are referring to the "gap" - considering his horn could be a intermediate level horn it just might have that "Student Gap" of 3/8" instead of the normal 1/8" in our pro horns - depends on which mouthpiece he is using.

4. jdox

jdox New Friend

Feb 7, 2012
    This is very interesting. I basically use one mouthpiece for all of my trumpets, but have noticed this very thing happening : "The fact that a horn gets flatter the higher you go has more to do with a catastrophic match of the mouthpiece to the horn than anything else."
    Are you able to elaborate?

5. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    hint: anyone that posted something 2 years ago and only had a total of 2 posts isn't going to respond to your question since they aren't active on the forum.

6. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Suggestion as a passive observer: This is a very old thread and the context of the orignial post (regarding Ebay scam potential) has been lost. Perhaps jdox, you may want to repost your observations on a more appropriate gap topic discussion? I think you may get better discussion if you repost in that context. I would actually like to see Rowuk elaborate however. He always increases my learning curve.

7. edfitzvb

edfitzvb Forte User

Jun 10, 2008
    Woodlawn, VA
    ALSO:
    Newbies, the time and date of the posts you are reading is in the left hand side of the blue bar above it. Check that before resuming a conversation that has been idle for 2 years

8. jdox

jdox New Friend

Feb 7, 2012
    Ok, I got the message, I just wanted to make sure that Rowuk saw it.
    I started another thread with the question.
    A sincere thank you to gmonady for his constructive comment.

Others could be more helpful instead of just pointing out faults without consideration of what was being asked or why. Hint: that is you gzent ALSO: edfitzvb.

Thanks for the warm welcome.:roll:

9. Conntribution

Conntribution Fortissimo User

Dec 25, 2010
    Lloyd Harbor NY.
    Guess it was a good batch of formaldehyde...

10. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    Oh, come on, don't be so sensitive. We just like to parboil our newcomers a little.