was this you, Mr. Laureano?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by davidmazon, Jun 9, 2005.

1. davidmazon

davidmazon New Friend

Jun 7, 2005
    Columbus, Ohio (yuck!)
    very new here at trumpetmaster so thanks for your attention!...my wife and I are dying to know the answer to this question. She's a general music teacher(also has her masters in performance), and she has this video of "Leonard Bernstein Conducts West Side Story" a deutsch grammaphone video. It shows Lenny conducting a "pick up" if you will group of musicians who are just incredible! At one point Lenny refers to the 1st trumpet player as a "genius 1st trumpet player". The trumpet playing on this video is definitely a must see! On a strange side note: I have had the opportunity to play west side story here and there and i find myself emulating the trumpet player in this video as much as i possibly can lol! I even considered buying some eyeglasses so I would even look more like the player...geesh some of us are so sad lol(I dont even wear glasses or contacts)
    So...is it you Mr. Laureano? If not, do you have any idea who it is? He sure looks like you and is a fabulous player! If it is you....bravo. You have inspired many hours of late night practice!

Thanks! dave and nicole mazon

2. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Ha! Would that it were! Coincidentally, you happen to be referring to my downstairs neighbor, Wilmer Wise!

If you go down one flight from me he might be home. Knock and see if he's in. If not, I'll tell him you came by and give him the message.

ML

3. davidmazon

davidmazon New Friend

Jun 7, 2005
    Columbus, Ohio (yuck!)
    lol ok ty....thanks for the quick reply! so i lost the bet with my wife... :oops: I could have sworn it was you. But to your benefit I have watched the Monette clip of you playing the Alpine Symphony lick at least a million billion times. I keep it on my desktop(computer) at work for great inspiration! OMG i love that piece and your performance:).
    Funny, after seeing that clip I immediately called the store manager of another store(same company...different suburb..and a trumpet player) and we proceeded to sing your praises whilst ignoring incoming calls and customers lol. In the words of my friend at the other store "now isnt that the most gosh darn thing you've ever saw..."
    cheers Manny!

4. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Thank you for your kind words, David, and I truly hope you post your other WSS thoughts in Wilmer's forum. My kids have grown up watching that video and they love it, too. Wilmer's got great stories about any number of conductors, legendary players, composers, and advice from a musical perspective that is, frankly, rare. So, enjoy the forum.

ML