Washing a Lacquer Polishing Cloth....dopey question #368

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by motteatoj, May 29, 2013.

1. motteatoj

motteatoj Mezzo Forte User

Feb 23, 2013
    Tuckahoe, NY
    Can you wash a brass lacquer polishing cloth?

I know the silver polishing clothes cannot, but what about Brass lacquer ones?
    Any suggestions on what not to do? Does it matter? Fabric softener an issue, etc?

2. mattiasc

mattiasc Piano User

Jan 14, 2013
    No, it will be less effective the first time and the more you wash it the less it will work.
    Just buy a new one when its really dirthy.

grz

3. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    I disagree with the second poster. A lacquer polishing cloth is only a soft cloth - be it microfiber or something else. Washing it should not hurt it or your horn. That said, the autoparts store can sell you bundles of microfiber cloths and they work great!

4. mattiasc

mattiasc Piano User

Jan 14, 2013
    My brass lacquer cloth is impregnated with a cleaning solution if you wash it the solution disappears and its not that effective anymore.

If you have to keep the cloth in the package when you're not using it do not wash it.

5. prls1power

prls1power Piano User

Feb 11, 2012
    Orlando, FL
    I have always used microfiber cloth with great success, you can easily find them at any store that sells automotive stuff, autopart stores, walmart, etc...

6. mattiasc

mattiasc Piano User

Jan 14, 2013
    I always buy cloths specially for brass instruments. Thats the difference.

7. prls1power

prls1power Piano User

Feb 11, 2012
    Orlando, FL
    Absolutely can do that too!! I just prefer to microfiber towels because I can wash them again when needed, in the long run its cheaper. Whether its better or not is up for discussion. I just know what works for me.

8. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    2nd the microfiber cloth. Washable and does a good job removing finger marks and oils from the horn.

9. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Instructions on my cloth says: Don't Wash. It actually says the blacking of the cloth is a desired change and a good sing. With that said... I stopped using it as I found on my silver horn, baking soda, aluminum foil and salt in hot water does by far a much better job AND my valves work better... (and I become better looking in the reflection of the bell... but that's another story).

10. motteatoj

motteatoj Mezzo Forte User

Feb 23, 2013
    Tuckahoe, NY
    That's for Silver cloths, the brass lacquer ones do not contain tarnish removers as they are not needed.