Washing a Lacquer Polishing Cloth....dopey question #368

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by motteatoj, May 29, 2013.

1. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Oh... never mind... I should learn to read the last sentence of the post... maybe that is why my patients never wake up after I induce them with anesthesia.:dontknow:

2. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Um....we're talking about lacquer, right?

As a drummer and my son's guitar tech, I "polish" drums and his guitars (some of which are lacquered - some are poly finished) with a soft cloth - usually basic Fender-type wipe down cloth or just an old T-shirt - with Trick Drum Polish, which is essentially the same as any spray-on wax finish as marketed by Martin, Fender, etc.

Ditch the lacquer polishing cloth and use the spray wax polishes with an old T-shirt and you'll be fine.

3. motteatoj

motteatoj Mezzo Forte User

Feb 23, 2013
    Tuckahoe, NY
    I never said anything about polish, I just wanted to know if I could wash the brass lacquer cloth that came with my trumpet. But thanks for the digression, as there is rarely any drum talk in this forum, lol.

4. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Well, you know I'm a trumpet player...too? (Trumpet player first - only started playing drums regularly when I was 33)

If there was any kind of a dry compound in a lacquer polishing cloth, honestly you'd probably be better off without it. Think about what lacquer really is - it's a clear finish put on polished and degreased brass to protect it, so really you aren't polishing the lacquer - it's just a matter of wiping off dust, fingerprints, hand oils, etc. Windex would probably be about as effective as any other kind of polish for lacquer, but the mist wax polishes actually fill in the micro-scratches in the lacquer, which serves to polish it, and to add just a bit of additional protection.

It's interesting the different tactics different instrumentalists use when it comes to the care of their axes - as a drummer, it's not unheard of to use something like Johnson's paste wax (that contains carnauba wax) to polish a lacquered drum, so why would a trumpet really be any different? It's pretty much the same finish after all. (of course that's debatable - brass instruments use an epoxy type lacquer, whereas true lacquer is nitrocellulose, and many finishes on wood instruments such as guitars and drums are actually a plastic paint finish)

coolerdave likes this.
  5. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    You could wash it ... but honestly the micro fiber is good... maybe better. I can't count the number of rags and cloths I have between guitars and brass instruments. I just don't think a $5 cloth is something to worry about.

6. barliman2001

barliman2001 Fortissimo User

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
    Just an old T-shirt does the job for me; any small lacquer faults can be glossed over with colourless nail varnish.