Water and second slide on B1

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by alant, Jul 20, 2014.

1. alant

alant Pianissimo User

Aug 18, 2009
    Rochdale UK
    Anyone got any ideas why i keep getting water traped in the second slide on my Schilke B1. I have to keep taking the slide out to empty it.

2. nordlandstrompet

nordlandstrompet Forte User

Apr 5, 2008
    Norway
    How do you hold your trumpet? Tilted over to the right?

3. alant

alant Pianissimo User

Aug 18, 2009
    Rochdale UK
    Tilted to the right :)

4. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    LOL. Is this a "Eureka!" moment?

5. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    The easy way to get the water out is to remove the first slide, tip the horn up, and with valves 1&2 pressed, blow hard. Much easier than trying to remove that tight second valve slide anyway. That's what I've been doing for the last couple of decades anyway - it used to happen with my Strads too.

6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    There are a couple reasons why this only comes up at certain times of the year - and why it is generally a sign of someone who needs to play a lot more.

There is once source and two reasons for water in the horn. The first one is condensation, when the horn is closed, the second is excessive moisture in our breath. The first happens when it is cold where we play. The second happens when it is hot - because we drink more, spit more and have excessive fluids moving forward.

Some horns are more sensitive to gurgling because the moisture collects at a pressure node.

My comment about needing to play more is in regard to the fact that those that play enough don't think about this stuff anymore, they have developed habits that keep stuff like this out of the way.

In your case it could be as easy as keeping the horn warm in the winter, only playing an comfortably air conditioned rooms and tilting the instrument a bit to the left. There is little that we can do about excessive moisture and spit - at least little that is healthy...........

7. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Rowuk, stop trying to cloud the issue with facts! ;-)

8. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    OK;

Moisture also collects in our bladders and we somehow manage. You have to practice until trumpet playing becomes a second nature bodily function that you don't need to worry about! There really is no difference (except in the volume that the bladder takes before YOU start gurgling!).

Patrick, was that better?

9. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    LOL! MUCH Better!

I find it curiously amusing these days the questions and "issues" players are bringing to light on the forum. I don't know where I got this quote, or who it is attributed to, but I try to apply it when I can:

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems could be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice."

It just seems that much of the time, people are over-thinking all sorts of things playing and equipment related, and are worrying about things that if they'd spend less time fiddling with this and that, and more time just putting in the time on the horn, most of the things they would otherwise worry about would no longer be concerns....like water in a 2nd valve slide.

It's not meant as a diss to the OP, but seriously, it just not that big of a deal - pop out the first valve slide, tip the horn up, depress the 1st and 2nd valves, blow the water out, put the slide back in, and resume playing.

10. Jolter

Jolter Piano User

Apr 1, 2009
    Sweden
    If you blow out water through the first slide, doesn't your face get awfully wet?