water anyone?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by vrrodri, Jan 11, 2009.

1. vrrodri

vrrodri New Friend

Sep 12, 2008
    I got a new horn and there is water coming out of the bell as I play. Is this normal? I use the water valves but still have the issue.

2. s.coomer

s.coomer Forte User

Mar 25, 2005
    Indianapolis, In
    First of all the "water" is only condensation from the warm breath going through the horn. We do not spit in our horns. Second, it seems that you may need to use the water keys more.

3. vrrodri

vrrodri New Friend

Sep 12, 2008
    I understand, I am using the water keys very frequently and this is why I thought it was weird.

4. YamaMan

YamaMan Pianissimo User

Nov 29, 2008
    Is it impeding your ability to play or the sound?

5. johnMak

johnMak Pianissimo User

Dec 1, 2008
    Ridgecrest CA
    Water is not coming out of my bell, but there is lots collecting inside, I would hear the water when I play...I have to stop and clear it out....then again I would play...use the water key sometimes before I need to...

and then there it is again...playing notes thru water...It doesn't happen ALL the time but it sure is bothersome.

should I eat a loaf of bread before I play? or what?

6. Miyot

Miyot Pianissimo User

Jul 22, 2007
    Water coming out the bell is normal.

7. Miyot

Miyot Pianissimo User

Jul 22, 2007
    Just empty the horn as you need to. Make sure your spitvalve is the lowest point when you do. Also if you push your valves half way down or so, it will increase the pressure on your main spitvalve a little and help evacuate the condensation. Bread would only gum up the works and perhaps help things grow.:huh:

8. oohhh yeah

oohhh yeah Pianissimo User

Nov 23, 2008
    B.C. Canada
    This happens to me all the time. I happens after about 30 minutes of actual blowing into the horn, not 30 minutes of listening to your teacher talk and talk... I also find that with more usage of the third valve, there is more water coming out of the bell too.

9. jason_boddie

jason_boddie Piano User

Dec 26, 2008
    Jacksonville, FL
    it is very commonfor me as well.

I guess that just means you are full of hot air too.....

10. YamaMan

YamaMan Pianissimo User

Nov 29, 2008
    What am I? Chopped liver?