water anyone?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by vrrodri, Jan 11, 2009.

1. Hoghorn

Hoghorn Pianissimo User

Dec 30, 2008
    Manitowoc Wi.
    Try clearing your mouth of extra saliva each time you play, swallow just before you get set on your mouthpiece. You may also find it can help your tone also !

Hoghorn

2. smurf351

smurf351 Mezzo Forte User

Jun 23, 2007
    I have found that playing in colder environments will cause a lot more condensation to build up in my horn, thus requiring for frequent use of the spit valves. Winter is really bad for me, I just had to move my practice area upstairs to my bedroom (my wife is just thrilled) from my office in the (unfinished) basement.

3. Rushtucky

Rushtucky Pianissimo User

Sep 15, 2008
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Water, ie. condensation coming out of the bell is quite normal. This will most likely occur after playing constantly the first 15 minutes of practice.

Use the spit valves frequently. Watch your corks. Change when you feel needed or every year.

4. johnMak

johnMak Pianissimo User

Dec 1, 2008
    Ridgecrest CA
    Now I thought I had a water problem.

Just for laughs guys and gals...take a look at THIS water trumpet.

YouTube - Water Trumpet!

5. YamaMan

YamaMan Pianissimo User

Nov 29, 2008
    Probably makes it easier to clean, haha.

6. oldlou

oldlou Forte User

Aug 28, 2005
    Grand Rapids, Mi.
    Well, John, I guess that is one way to flush out your horn. Probably not the best way, though.

OLDLOU>>

7. vrrodri

vrrodri New Friend

Sep 12, 2008
    Wow, I guess it was not as unique a problem as I thought! Yes, I can also hear the water after about 15-20 minutes of playing even though I do use my water valves a lot to try to avoid it...

8. Labidochromis

Labidochromis Pianissimo User

Jan 7, 2009
    Armstrong BC.
    The moisture in your breath will condensate on cold metal, the colder your horn is the faster it will accumulate. Because the Bell has a larger surface area it cools faster and is furthest distance from your mouthpiece (through the tubing) it will always accumulate moisture even though you use your water keys regularly. This will be less of a problem in a warmer room versus a cold room.

9. vrrodri

vrrodri New Friend

Sep 12, 2008
    Perhaps in the summer time it will be less of an issue...I hope. Over 30 years ago when I first played the trumpet, I did so in very hot weather and never had this issue.