Water in bell

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by habitatchad, Sep 8, 2008.

1. habitatchad

habitatchad Pianissimo User

Aug 18, 2008
    Clinton, TN
    When I empty my main spit valve, I can almost always get about half that same amount or water out of the bell. This happens on all three of my horns. Anyone else have this problem? Any suggestions?

Thanks

:dontknow:

2. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    Why this should be a problem?

3. MFfan

MFfan Fortissimo User

Sep 13, 2006
    Kalamazoo, Michigan
    Do they have one or two spitvalves each? I expell alot of saliva also, but don't usually get drippings out of the bell. Maybe you should empty more often as there apparantly is too much to retain in the tubing near the valve. Do you get frequent "gurgling" water noises that prompt you to apply the spitvalve? I don't think there is a pill for that unless you dry up your body's moisture system. I can't do much about mine!:dontknow:

4. habitatchad

Aug 18, 2008
    Clinton, TN
    I get the gurgling noise frequently. Sometimes it is coming from the bell tubing. Part of me wants to get a spit valve put on the bell tubing.

5. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    That is a problem. Now, if when emptying out the water you blow too hard, some of the water may pass the water key. That's why probably the water gets to the bell and you often get this gurgling noise. Check also if the hole of the water key is free. Use also the slides to empty the water, by removing them, if necessary. Good luck.

6. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    Water often will collect in the first valve/valve slide and you can just blow through the horn with the bell uphill from the mouthpiece and the 1st valve depressed, and then rotate it bell up and towards you and then over pointing down and water will drain. You can also start this with blowing through 3, then 2, then 1, and then the bell summersault.
    Where water collects can be a function of how you hold your horn - bell up, straight, down.

My Kanstul 1525 empties more easily through the bell then the Amado key.

7. MFfan

MFfan Fortissimo User

Sep 13, 2006
    Kalamazoo, Michigan
    Good points just presented. No different makes of horns will empty with the same efficiency. Some better than others. A couple of my horns gurgle more than the others and seem to need emptying more often. I think the tubing design and placement of the spitvalve has something to do with it. I have used the 3rd slide dump method especially when the 3rd slide has no spitvalve and collects water anyway!:-)

8. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    water moves with pressure, gravity or by condensation. It is up to each player to figure out where their own source is and solve it. I play with my horn angled down slightly to keep the pressure off of the upper lip. I have never had water in the first valve, but during big band gigs my bell does leak..............

9. habitatchad

Aug 18, 2008
    Clinton, TN
    My Elkhart Cornet is the worst of the three and hardest to empty.[​IMG]

10. Darthsunshine

Darthsunshine Mezzo Forte User

Jul 19, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    I thought your ide of putting a water key on the bell was a bit crazy until I saw this horn while cruising the King website this evening. Check out the water key at the base of the bell tubing!

http://www.hnwhite.com/King/My Instruments/Cornets/12654 Improved Perfecto 3.jpg