Water Key Maintenance

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by pmjinla, Dec 19, 2014.

1. pmjinla

pmjinla New Friend

Dec 9, 2014
    I have a Getzen 700S horn that has Amado style water keys. I have noticed that there is some gunk that has built up in the key itself. How do I go about cleaning that out? I would prefer not to take the key apart. Thanks.

2. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    You can CAREFULLY try a toothpick, don't get aggressive though or it will break. Sorry, but the best way is to disassemble it.

3. tjcombo

tjcombo Forte User

Nov 12, 2012
    Melbourne, Australia
    If your Amado is gunked up then it's likely you have crud built up in the tuning slide too. A good soak in lukewarm water with dish washing detergent, a careful clean with a snake followed by a rinse is worth doing. Don't forget to remove the valves first so you don't soak corks and felts.

4. Comeback

Comeback Forte User

Jun 22, 2011
    Fort Wayne, IN
    How long have you been playing the trumpet? Have you received any instruction about horn maintenance and good oral hygiene practices before playing? tjcombo is pointing you in the right direction. Teeth brushing and mouth rinsing prior to playing can be helpful, too, in keeping your trumpet reasonably clean. If you play daily, cleaning your trumpet regularly, say once a month, as tjcombo describes, is great preventive maintenance. Also, you may want to lube your Amados with a drop of valve oil frequently, working the button to distribute the oil.

Jim

5. musicalmason

musicalmason Forte User

Dec 14, 2003
    Pa
    There is no way to effectively clean it without taking it apart. You can make it a bit better with the methods mentioned, but if you want it clean it's got to come apart.

6. pmjinla

pmjinla New Friend

Dec 9, 2014
    Okay then I will learn how to take it apart. As for prevention, I always brush my teeth before I play, and I bathe my trumpet 1-2 times a month.

7. gchun

gchun Piano User

Dec 10, 2003
    Disassemble the amado in a clear plastic bag. It will catch any flying springs/parts and you can still see what you're doing since the bag is clear.

8. pmjinla

pmjinla New Friend

Dec 9, 2014
    That is an excellent idea. Thanks! Let's just hope that I will actually figure out how dis/reassemble the keys. :think:

9. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    And if not, that is why God created technicians that work in instrument repair. When I screw up my horn "fixing it" I have Gary at Houer Music bail me out. I give Gary lots of work.

10. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    Google it. There are some videos that talk you through it.