Water on the main tunning slide

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by just, Nov 16, 2014.

1. just

just Pianissimo User

Dec 26, 2013
    Everywhere
    Hello everyone,

I have recently noticed that my horn (Jupiter 606Mr) sometimes drops a bit of water. I thought that it was a problem of the water keys but I have found out that is the main tunning slide which leaks. What should I do? I think that my horn plays as always but this is concerning me a little bit.

Thank you in advance!!

2. amzi

amzi Forte User

Feb 18, 2010
    Northern California
    Where is it leaking--around a slide tube?--through a solder joint?--through a pin hole? If water is leaking around the slide tube a thicker slide grease may fix the problem--any other problem will require the intervention of a tech.

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Thicker grease is first thing to try. No reason for concern. A leak does not mean that your horn is rotting away. Sure we want everything to be as tight as possible, but the horn would only play noticably worse if you were getting more than an occasional couple of drops.

4. just

just Pianissimo User

Dec 26, 2013
    Everywhere
    Any recomendations on a thicker grease? Thanks!

5. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    Anhydrous Lanolin.
    You can get it at a pharmacy.

6. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Great product , but you're not likely to get it at chain pharmacies in the US (Not at Walgreens, DrugCo, CVS, Wal-Mart, etc.). It isn't in their formulary. I get mine from a health food store, but they didn't have it at GNC either.

7. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    Ah, I am not in the States.
    I am sure you can get it online very easily, and a tub will last a lifetime.

8. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Yes, you can ... apparently you're using the "butter" as sells for about $20.00/pound. I us the pure liquid at about $10.00 / 4 oz.. ADVISEMENT: If you are allergic to wool, it is suggested you not use this product.

9. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Lanolin is good stuff, it stops Kiwi Sheep from rusting apparently.

An aerosol version is available through Ships Chandlers, it is used as a water repellent on marine engines.

10. fuzzyhaze

fuzzyhaze Mezzo Piano User

Nov 22, 2009
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne UK
    I make my own slide grease. Beeswax and petroleum jelly/Vaseline, mixed together in a saucepan, gently melted on a cooker. Allow to cool then check the consistency. If you need it thicker add more beeswax, if you need it thinner add more petroleum jelly. Works brilliantly, stops worns slides moving/creeping and forms a perfect water tight seal.