Water Stains

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by limbo, Aug 18, 2008.

1. limbo

limbo New Friend

Aug 1, 2008
    POOPLAND, CHINA

Last edited: Jul 24, 2011
  2. Newguy

Newguy Pianissimo User

Mar 30, 2008
    Pittsburgh Area
    a little more info would be helpful. What is the finish on the horn? Is it raw brass, lacquer, sliver plate, gold plate, etc. That will determine the best way to treat it.

3. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    A soft cloth.

4. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    In your initial post you said you have a Yamaha TR4335GS, which is silver plate. You can buff the water marks off with a soft cloth like cotton flannel, by breathing on the spots to fog them like one does with eyeglasses. Stubborn ones might like a polish - flitz is a polish impregnated cloth, so no mess - just a little gentle rubbing.
    Next time you wash your horn find an old soft towel and wipe it down afterwards. You can twist the towel into a cone and push it into the bell and twist it back and forth.
    Waterspots will not change the way it plays, only its appearance. How it looks is not as important as how it sounds. So any extra energy should go towards practice.

5. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Give your instrument another wash in clean water and dry it thoroughly. Practice in soft cotton gloves and give the trumpet a rub down with the gloves still on - then put it back in the case. Now remove your gloves - works for my silverplated, goldplated and lacquered instruments, and many other players have commented how shiney my trumpets always are.

6. limbo

limbo New Friend

Aug 1, 2008
    POOPLAND, CHINA

Last edited: Jul 24, 2011
  7. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Chris Cook, the second player and myself had some "ugly trumpet contests" in our symphony, waiting to be the last to shine up our unlaquered horns, and they can get pretty ugly over time! The idea was that the way a trumpet sounded is much more important than how it looks, and if it looks ugly, it must play good. (Kinda the same approach to some girlfriends!)

With Doc Severinsen as a role model (he shoots the spit out the bell by blowing) those water marks in the bell can be a badge of honor!

By all means, please spend more time playing your instrument than polishing it!

8. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    A bit gross VB - I'm into shiney.

9. stradguy

stradguy Pianissimo User

Jan 13, 2007
    Montevallo,Alabama
    there was very likely limesone in your water so just put it water again and the wipe it off well

10. hubnub

hubnub Piano User

May 4, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    Me.....:dontknow: