Water stuck in xeno cornet

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by alant, Oct 18, 2011.

1. alant

alant Pianissimo User

Aug 18, 2009
    Rochdale UK
    Hi everyone i got a new xeno cornet (fantastic horn) however at the moment i cannot get all the water out of the horn unless i rotate the horn, any one else experiencing this issue?

2. Dupac

Dupac Fortissimo User

Aug 19, 2008
    Bordeaux, France.
    Yes, same thing with my Yamaha Eb cornet : remove the mouthpiece and rotate the horn. In my youth, all the cornet and bugle players used to do it …

3. tpsiebs

tpsiebs Piano User

Feb 6, 2010
    Randolph, New Jersey
    That last turn before the air enters the third valve is the culprit. Bach puts a water key there. My Committee has the same configuration and same issue. It almost makes one consider putting an Amado key there because it is so inconvenient.

4. jiarby

jiarby Fortissimo User

May 7, 2011
    Arizona
    My Conn Director Cornets have a removable slide where the bell crook enters the 3rd valve on the left side.

5. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    Conn went one better on the Victor and put a water key on it.

[​IMG]

But, that's after going through the valve section, not before it as on most horns. Those old Conn cornets all move air "backwards" through the valve section. BTW, tpsiebs, Bach doesn't put that water key before the 3rd valve on their cornets any more.

6. trumpetsplus

trumpetsplus Fortissimo User

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    Push the 3rd valve down and open the 3rd slide water key, then gently blow the water through.

7. Dupac

Dupac Fortissimo User

Aug 19, 2008
    Bordeaux, France.
    I do this, but it is often not enough to throw all the water out, so I rotate the horn.

8. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    Does it help to just pull the slide off and then blow out the water?