Water through the bell

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Gabriel Michael, Apr 27, 2011.

1. Gabriel Michael

Gabriel Michael New Friend

Apr 24, 2011
    Houston, TX
    While taking private lessons from Maynard in high school (okay, trying to play to his albums), one of the results I developed was pushing water through the bell. Not a spray (that would be sweet), but I would look at the bell and there would be drops. Does anyone else experience this? I now play in a local college jazz band while undergoing an embouchure change (prior set was with overbite and over pressure) and still have water coming out of the bell.

2. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Well, if you were to inject water into the exhaust pipe of a power boat the sound will be deadened, but considering the amount of water coming from the bell of your trumpet, I would expect it to be only a few drops, I would not think there was any cause for alarm. Do you get much from the water keys.

(There has been previous discussion on this and the concensus {I think} was that it was a good thing rather than bad).

3. Gabriel Michael

Apr 24, 2011
    Houston, TX
    I do get water from the keys (and why do people blow so hard when emptying?) I tried looking for a thread but couldn't find it. I guess it is better than not enough air. (?) Thanks!

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    It has NOTHING to do with your support. It is only a function of how much moisture is in your breath. Air is not moving at high speed in the horn regardless of what octave that you are playing in. The higher you play, the less air moves. Read the thread "How a trumpet works" at the top of this general trumpet forum. That should clear the myths up.

By the way starting a thread with BS about Maynard in high school (that would make you pretty old now......) does not make it easier to seriously answer your questions.

Blow hards don't understand how a spit key works. That is why they blow so hard.

5. Gabriel Michael

Apr 24, 2011
    Houston, TX
    Regarding air velocity and moisture content, that makes sense.

6. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Doc had the same "problem." If you get to see the original album cover you can see the water spots inside the bell.
    [​IMG]

7. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I have them on occasion. I wouldn't be concerned. VB, where can I get some shirts like Doc to go with my Severinsen?;-)

8. Al Innella

Al Innella Forte User

Aug 9, 2007
    Levittown , NY
    Bed Bath & Beyond?

9. JNINWI

JNINWI Piano User

Apr 26, 2011
    Earth
    The higher the air compression is in your lungs, the more humid your air is. And as Rowuk says, it's a function of moisture in your breath. It's not a problem. At times I see what looks like steam coming out my bell when the red light is really on !

10. Satchmo Brecker

Satchmo Brecker Piano User

Jul 19, 2010
    How mean-spirited. The OP was making a joke, as in his "lessons with Maynard" amounted to playing along with his records, not actually taking lessons. Geez.