Water through the bell

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Gabriel Michael, Apr 27, 2011.

1. EL_JMAN

EL_JMAN Pianissimo User

Sep 14, 2010
    So Cal (San Diego)
    Maybe some "loose" water that couldn't drained out through the spit valves bro? I learned from a friend...

Turn your horn to the left and point the bell slightly up. Then press the first valve and blow. Then do the same for the second and third valves. From there turn the trumpet up side down (valves pointing down) and tilt the bell down. If done right some water should come out.

I always have water come out through the bell while I'm playing. That why I always carry a rag to clean it...

Last edited: Apr 30, 2011
  2. Heelum

Heelum Pianissimo User

Jan 19, 2009
    Sydney Aus.
    The Giraffe ordered a long neck..........

3. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Nice ...... Tooheys Old? Vic Bitter? not Fosters - surely?

4. ccNochops

ccNochops Piano User

Sep 30, 2006
    White Marsh, VA
    The Giraffe ordered a long neck..........and sez "Everytime I blow my horn.......

5. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Long Necks, Stubbies, Throwdowns, Tinnies - all specific descriptions of the containers Aussies use to hold beer - see, you wondered how long it would take to get around to beer, didn't you? (A tinnie could also be an aluminium (aluminum) boat.) ;-)

6. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Interesting question. I do notice this on my trumpet, and quit possibly when playing hard and high. But I have never noticed it on my flugel horn, and I sometimes (not as often) play this in a high range. Possibly it may also reflect the length of the horn.

Any trombone players experience this? If so, that blows the heck out of my theory.

7. Branson

Branson Piano User

Jan 16, 2011
  8. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Wow!! This link is great. Now I won't take offense when someone tells me I'm full of spit. At least that's how I'm hearing it.

9. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    WOW, I was awesome last week then! ;-) After playing my flugel, it emptied like a slurpee dispenser.