Water Valve Question

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Trumpet Dreamer, Nov 10, 2010.

1. Trumpet Dreamer

Trumpet Dreamer Mezzo Forte User

Aug 14, 2010
    Jazz Town, USA
    I have 3 horns, 2 trumpets both with lever style water keys, and a flugelhorn with amado water keys.
    The lever style keys work flawlessly, while the flugel (amado key) is almost impossible to completely drain the water from. Even with blowing and violent shaking of the horn, the fluid still is VERY difficult to drain, and this is a new Jupiter 846RS.
    Is it something I'm doing wrong? Is it hard to change to a lever style water valve? Any suggestions?

Last edited: Nov 10, 2010
  2. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    I hate amado keys. As soon as I save up some cash I'm going to have Saturn keys put on my Lawler.

I hate amado keys.

3. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    Don't blow hard or you just blow the water over the hole.

4. Trumpet Dreamer

Aug 14, 2010
    Jazz Town, USA
    Blowing softly makes no difference. It seems the water hangs up inside and does not want to evacuate. The horn has to be shaken VIOLENTLY to get any water out.
    And, I can not feel the air come out of this valve while blowing and holding it open. This is the amado key off of the #3 valve.

5. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I also have an 846 and run into that problem occasionally. Sometimes I have to spin the horn around to get the water out. Been told by some it's just the nature of flugels. Watched Arturo chase water onstage last spring so if he has to do it... . I don't know if you would change the sound by going to a lever valve. Depending on price to fix, you may want to sell and find another flugel, but you may have the same problem with it. I try to anticipate the buildup of fluid in the horn and empty on rests.

6. nordlandstrompet

nordlandstrompet Forte User

Apr 5, 2008
    Norway
    Amato water keys works ok if you use them the right way.
    All my Taylors are fitted with those, and I don't have any problems with that.

You need to make the key as the lowest point of the tubing
    and don't over blow when emptying the horn.

With this angle, the water will not leave the horn easy...
    [​IMG]

This angle will help a lot. When emptying the 1. and 3. valve slides,
    push down the according valve and blow gently several times.
    [​IMG]

7. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    I too have Amado water keys on most of my horns - the trumpet angle is important when draining, lubricate the Amado everytime you lubricate the valves (just one drop of valve oil on the end of the water key - you know, into the little hole in the end), make sure the drain hole is clear whenever you clean the horn - occasionally mine gum up a little and reverse flowing (blow with your mouth into the drain hole) makes a difference.

8. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    Are you pressing the 3rd valve down when you empty the 3rd valve water key?

9. Trumpet Dreamer

Aug 14, 2010
    Jazz Town, USA
    Yes, in fact I have tried everything, including holding the flugel at the proper angle. I really like the horn and wish to keep it. Just wish the water would drain as well as it does on my other trumpets. Perhaps this is just a character of flugels, as was pointed out, and I will have to learn to live with it.

10. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I would learn to live with it. For the money there are very few flugels that can touch the newer (2005<) Jupiters. My father has a Blessing and has to occasionally "roll" it to get the water out. Another player I know has a Stomvi and has to do the same thing (my Jupiter sounds better :D). Maybe you could use a small space heater to keep it warm until you need it so it won't be so cold. Nothing sounds worse (or creates as much "condensation") than a section of "cold" flugels.