Water Valve Question

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Trumpet Dreamer, Nov 10, 2010.

1. hup_d_dup

hup_d_dup Piano User

May 28, 2009
    Tewksbury, NJ, USA
    For what it's worth, I need to spend more time getting the water out of my Dillon flugelhorn than any of my other instruments. It has conventional water keys. I tilt it forward and back, and also to the left to try to clear anything that might be sitting in the second valve slide.

For a while I was pulling the mouthpiece to drain the horn from the leadpipe, and that works well, but I think I've developed a pretty good technique now to clear the instrument through the three water keys.

2. tpsiebs

tpsiebs Piano User

Feb 6, 2010
    Randolph, New Jersey
    To reduce the turbulence in my old Bach Strad, I had a Saturn water key mounted. Simple design with essentially nothing to go wrong. Emptied beautifully. They are worth looking into - kinda hard to find but you can get your local tech to install it. They look hip, too.

3. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    I like the Amados on my Severinsen, but maybe because there was a Getzen ad in the case, touting the Amados. It was sort of funny, I think there was a quote from Doc. TD, if you are pressing the 3rd valve and no air is coming out of that one, you might want to get it checked. Could just be a bad Amado ....... :x Bad Amado! Bad Amado!

T

4. dsr0057

dsr0057 Pianissimo User

Dec 20, 2009
    Denton, TX
    There is a possibility that when the horn was assembled they did not take care to make sure the amado key was correctly centered over the drainage hole. I've seen this happen a lot with lower quality instruments. Many manufactures don't care to take the extra time to properly center and secure them key before soldering which could lead to improper placement (having to shake the horn violently to get water out) or even solder covering the hole completely making the water key a waste of space.

I would not be surprised if this was the problem especially with a Jupiter. Unfortunately if this is the problem the only way to fix it is replacement which isn't hard, just annoying.

To check take the key apart: On the back plate there is a C shaped ring holding the spring in, use a needle or needle spring to carefully remove it (don't lose it lol). then the back plate, spring and key mechanism should come right out. From there you can look into the horn and see if there is any blockage. If there is find someone to get it fixed, if not I don't know what to tell you.

Either way good luck. :thumbsup:

5. Trumpet Dreamer

Trumpet Dreamer Mezzo Forte User

Aug 14, 2010
    Jazz Town, USA
    Other than the drainage issue with the 3rd water key, the fit and finish of the horn is equal to my new Mike Vax Getzen.
    Do you have personal experience with Jupiter, or perhaps know of others with quality issues?

6. trumpetsplus

trumpetsplus Fortissimo User

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    Check to make sure that there is not a "burr" on the inside of the tubing from when the drain hole was drilled. This will act as a dam and inhibit the complete evacuation of water.

7. Trumpet Dreamer

Trumpet Dreamer Mezzo Forte User

Aug 14, 2010
    Jazz Town, USA
    Upon further review, or dissection as it were, this appears to be a characteristic of the flugelhorn. The water valve was removed and everything is fine from a quality control standpoint. No issues here at all.

I did a simple test...plugged the bell with a soft towel and blew through the horn. This time there was plenty of airflow through the amado key and the water came streaming out.
    Guess I'll have to carry a towel with me to use every time I start blowing bubbles!

8. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    I would just spin the horn like a French Hornist does. There is only one rotation needed. I do that on my Yamaha when necessary.

9. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Most flugels are a real pain regardless of what water key system that they use. I have always has issues with water collecting in the pipe between the valves. Regardless of how hard or soft I blow, the water never gets to the water key. My solution is to point the mouthpieceside towards the floor and let the water drain that way.

10. Mr. Explorer

Mr. Explorer Pianissimo User

Jun 14, 2009
    Colorado Springs
    I have the same flugel as the OP (got it in 2008), and I have the same problem, but with all of my water keys! The first valve slide I just take out and dump, but that's not an option with the other two, so i end up doing a lot of shaking and twirling. I get a lot of funny looks from the bone players behind me...:dontknow: