Water Valve Question

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Trumpet Dreamer, Nov 10, 2010.

1. ComeBackKid

ComeBackKid Fortissimo User

May 11, 2009
    Yorba Linda, CA
    The there are the (French) Horn players - they either think that you are a kindred spirit or else they think you are mocking them. Fortunately, they are in front of you so they may not notice.

2. Asher S

Asher S Pianissimo User

Sep 20, 2009
    Suburban Boston
    Just out of curiosity, do the flugels with horizontal valve tubing have more, less, or the same degree of difficulty with water evacuation in comparison with the flugels with vertical valve tubes?

I am just wondering whether gravity has any positive or negative effect on water evacuation.

3. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Flugelhorn = water retention device! :lol::lol:

4. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    On a flugel there is no length of leadpipe with a drain on it, and the valves all catch the condensation where on a trumpet it usually collects in the tuning slide. That means they are prone to collecting water as most posters here affirm.

I blow gently (Kanstul 1525) with key open while changing the horn angle, and then rotate the horn to drain the water out the bell as well.

5. Mr. Stomvi

Mr. Stomvi Pianissimo User

Nov 14, 2003
    Something that I have done to all my horns is to have a good tech ream (not drill) out the hole in the Amado water key and the tubing to a larger size. Make sure that they also deburr the inside of the tubing afterwards too. You will be surprised as to how much larger these can be reamed to. This really really makes a big difference. Drains waaaaay better afterwards.

6. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    The info nordlandstrompet passes on is excellent and I'm sure will help a lot of people with amado water key problems. Great post!