Water when you play?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by SmoothOperator, Mar 1, 2011.

1. SmoothOperator

SmoothOperator Mezzo Forte User

Jul 14, 2010
    Do any of you drink water while you play or practice?

It seems to help a little for me. I don't know if it is because I live in a desert, or if wetting the whistle actually has some benefit?

2. larry tscharner

larry tscharner Forte User

Apr 30, 2010
    dubuque iowa
    If you cant spray it dont play it! A wet whistle keeps my buzz going. Best wishes.

3. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    I drink a lot of water during a gig.

4. Octiceps

Octiceps Pianissimo User

May 5, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    I also drink a lot of water when I play. I find that if my mouth is dry, I can't wet both my lips. Since I always play on a wet setup, playing with dry lips causes me to lose a ton of flexibility and range.

5. Aldrich

Aldrich New Friend

Feb 25, 2011
    Yes Buddy, I have to drank water while playing but in a little amount.... Because it is much necessary one, During playing the salt's come's out from the body in the form of sweat is being fulfilled by drinking water.... So does the use of the water is essential during playing....

6. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    Watch a video of Maynard Ferguson. He always kept a glass in a highly visible place and drank from it during the concert. He often joked about "what was really in the glass."

7. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I like to drink water while I play also. My lips stay full, fluffy and resonant.:D

8. Trumpet Dreamer

Trumpet Dreamer Mezzo Forte User

Aug 14, 2010
    Jazz Town, USA
    Being what is considered a "wet" player, a bottle of water is always nearby. If my lips dry out, most of my efficiency and ability is diminished. And my playing cannot afford to lose either.

9. Dave Mickley

Dave Mickley Forte User

Nov 11, 2005
    Indianapolis
    cool/cold water is a big plus when I play. the warmer the conditions the more water I use, I notice that my endurance goes down if I don't have my water.

10. Al Innella

Al Innella Forte User

Aug 9, 2007
    Levittown , NY
    While I have water nearby when practicing,I very rarely drink any. I don't like getting too use to needing water with me, because I can't always bring water on stage.

If we're performing an outside concert in hot weather that's one thing.But when we do inside concerts, it doesn't look very professional having 17 musicians drinking on stage at various times during the performance. I've never seen a professional band or orchestra drinking on stage.I do bring water with me to drink off stage, during our break,which is usually after a 50 min. set.

I think it's OK when practicing, but a bad idea to be too dependent on it ,every time we open the case.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2011