Water when you play?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by SmoothOperator, Mar 1, 2011.

1. mineo50

mineo50 Pianissimo User

Jan 15, 2011
    Barstow, CA
    +1 - I agree with the above. that being said I have played numerous gigs outside in Southern California during the summer. I always had water on stage during those gigs as I didn't need heat stroke to end my careerROFL.

2. The Dutch Guy

The Dutch Guy Piano User

Sep 22, 2008
    Netherlands
    I drink a lot. both during performances and during rehearsals. Dependent on what band I'm playing with, we sometimes get free drinks for the night, so everyone drinks during those nights, even while playing. That's allmost a necessity considering we play for 4 hours straight sometimes, with only one 10 minute break halfway through.

During rehearsals I have a bottle of water with me. It's full at the start. After about an hour it's empty, and I refill it. About another hour later, it's empty again and I refill it again. Then after another hour it's empty again, and rehearsal is over, and we move to the bar. (To drink some more...)

During practise sessions at home I hardly drink. I do drink some water before I start.

3. kcmt01

kcmt01 Mezzo Forte User

Sep 25, 2009
    Polson, MT
    I have to have water. I also like iced soda water. The coolness seems to soothe my vocal chords and my lips, and the fizz helps cut the phlegm. Also, I drink a lot of black coffee. I'm an early riser during the week, so being awake and alert is an issue. Just don't have sugar and cream with your coffee. They will rot your horn. The down side of coffee is that too much will give you a dry mouth. Then you will drink more water. Then you NEED a short break!

4. Alasdair

Alasdair New Friend

Dec 21, 2010
    Lowther Hills, Scotland
    I've looked at this thread a few times and every-time I think it's about the build up of spit ... then I read about you guys drinking it from glasses.

Very confusing (and gross) for my tiny mind!!

5. mineo50

mineo50 Pianissimo User

Jan 15, 2011
    Barstow, CA
    Too, too true!:lol:

6. Kujo20

Kujo20 Forte User

Sep 29, 2010
    Wow...looks like I'm the odd one out here...I play with a "dry set up". So I don't have water handy when I play. If it's a LONG gig though, I'll get a real quick drink during a break.

Kujo

7. Conntribution

Conntribution Fortissimo User

Dec 25, 2010
    Lloyd Harbor NY.
    I'm a dry-lip player as well. If there is any moisture on my lips the mouthpiece will most often slip.

However I have taken liberal advantage of free drinks in certain clubs where I've gigged, although not to the point of anesthetisation.
    I like my Martinis extra dry as well.

8. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Tap water. Carbonated water unbalances my airflow.........

9. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    I have a litre bottle which usually lasts me through a 3-hour gig. I don't eat about the time I'm playing (similar rule to swimming).

--bumblebee