Way too much Mouthpiece Pressure

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Aroman, Sep 15, 2009.

1. Late Starter

Late Starter New Friend

Sep 17, 2009
    UK
    Already, I have learnt where I'm going wrong.....Sorry for jumping the queue, but I'm well chuffed that within 10 mins of joining TM , I have picked up useful info for a beginner. Thank you.... Time for me to concentrate and practice buzzing instead of jumping straight in...

2. Bach219

Bach219 Mezzo Piano User

Jun 25, 2008
    OH
    Marching Band as well as anything else that requires you to blast or push yourself too much past the limit can bust your chops!

For the first time this year I made a STUPID mistake and went home after Marching Band and practiced more on top of that! I began playing high and loud and took advantage of my good playing that day...very big mistake! I started losing endurance, so I began using more pressure to compensate for that. The next two days were *** for me!

Now I'm sitting at my home drooling to play my trumpet, but I know that if I do, things will escalate to something big and bad....I don't want that!

Take this as a CAUTION to....just take it easy on yourself!

If you are using more pressure to compensate for anything, then you just might need to take a couple days off...like me....and just relax..............:zzz:

3. RHSbigbluemarchingband

RHSbigbluemarchingband Mezzo Piano User

Jan 17, 2009

Similar story here. Last year I was playing like crazy in this self belief I wasn't good enough because I collapsed under pressure during auditions for jazz, but in reality I was good enough but through playing like crazy I started slowly killing my playing. I was gaining range, and my tone quality finally developed. But once I hit the high point of my advancements nothing happened, and then along with stress and overplaying, my tone started to die out on me. Then I took about a week playing break, it was painful not to play, but without that break, at the downhill rate I was going, I might of killed my playing forever. Pressure is the devil in disguise:evil:

I tried that palm trick, I might have to implent that more often, it seems like a good way to relieve pressure, its a lot more challenging to play the higher notes, but that might work to strengthen my chops:dontknow:

4. Terry Schwartz

Terry Schwartz New Friend

Dec 19, 2009
    I have the pressure adapter and find it exceptionally helpful. One of my students got it for me in Norway. It is made in Baden Germany but I can't find a US distributer. Anyone know where to purchase (Ubungs-Adapter)?

5. The Kraken

The Kraken Piano User

Mar 28, 2007
    Gold Coast - 805
    So are saying then that no matter what note you want to hit this device will adjust accordingly ?
    So in effect it would train you to hit a low C as well as a high C with on or about the same pressure tension and release?

Just curious

6. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    The device is placed in the reciever and your mouthpiece goes into the device. When you play, the device is set (you can set it for the desired amount of allowable pressure) and when you pull the mouthpiece into the face too much, the device redirects the air and little to no sound comes out of the horn. I own one and find it to be a great tool.
    check with osmun.com They sell them for $145.00

7. Satchmo Brecker

Satchmo Brecker Piano User

Jul 19, 2010
    Does the grip affect pressure too? I thought I read that somewhere, maybe in this forum.

8. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    ----
    Oh my yes! Think how many times you've been playing and you develop a white knucked death grip on the horn, especially as you go up the register.
    Gripping the horn and holding the horn are two different things.
    A lot of stress can be manifested in the hands. Think about it, when we get frustrated, we will often clench our fists without even thinking, right?
    Its important to learn to hold the horn, be nice to it. Don't grip the horn. Gripping the horn seems to lead to the arms pulling into the body creating excessive mouthpiece pressure.
    Hold the horn so you can use the slides.

9. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    So how do you stop using excessive mouthpiece pressure? Simple - just stop doing it.

That's the easy answer.

The way I approach it when I find myself starting to use too much mouthpiece pressure is to work only on long tones until I get the problem corrected. I correct it by doing the following - I take a basic note like a G in the staff, start playing it as normal with normal pressure, and then I consciously start to reduce pressure. This is going to be frustrating on the first day because as soon as you start to reduce the pressure the note is going to break down into a double buzz, or it might stop speaking altogether. No problem - start again and do the same thing, and gradually but consciously reduce the amount of pressure you are using.

Another technique is to take a lower note such as a low C, start to blow it normal volume, and then to try to reduce the volume to just a whisper, and again, reduce pressure at the same time. The idea is that the focus of your chops has to come from the chops themselves and not because they are forced into compliance with the rim and cup of the mouthpiece via arm pressure.

I can usually get myself back to normal inside of a week, but it might take you longer.

There are no tricks or shortcuts to getting better or fixing a problem. Often times fixing the problem or improving an aspect of your playing can be done with the simplest, most common sense approach, with the mindset that you have to be patient, dilligent, and you have to work on it in a systematic way. I think that patience is the key - grasping onto the idea that improvement take place over a matter of weeks and months rather than days is half the battle.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2010
  10. Satchmo Brecker

Satchmo Brecker Piano User

Jul 19, 2010
    I guess by "the grip" I meant how you hold the horn, not literally gripping the thing like a stressed out gorilla, which as you point out would not be good.

The "standard" grip seems to me to lend itself to unnecessary pressure. The Maynard grip on the other hand seems more like just resting the horn on your hand, kinda like the palm trick somebody mentioned earlier.