Wayne Bergeron - MacArthur Park

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Catchops, Jul 2, 2011.

1. Catchops

Catchops New Friend

Jan 5, 2010
    Kansas City
  2. jiarby

jiarby Fortissimo User

May 7, 2011
    Arizona
    how old is this?? Steve Weist looks like he still has brown hair!

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Not a very good mix - more first trumpet than soloist and the rest of the wind section is also way too quiet.

Wayne plays all of the notes, but in my opinion Maynards musical line is not captured in this rendition. All of the notes are there - often cleaner than the original but unlike Maynards rendition, I do not have the impression that Wayne is singing up there. He has conquered the notes and timing.

I prefer Waynes original work much more than the Waynard stuff. He is truly one of the monsters of our generation - but not even close to being a Maynard successor.

4. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    who is???:dontknow:

5. Trumpet Dreamer

Trumpet Dreamer Mezzo Forte User

Aug 14, 2010
    Jazz Town, USA
    No one! But Eric Miyashiro is pretty darn close.

6. rowuk

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    cough

7. Trumpet Dreamer

Trumpet Dreamer Mezzo Forte User

Aug 14, 2010
    Jazz Town, USA
    As one of the moderator's previously stated..."To each his own."

8. richtom

richtom Forte User

Dec 7, 2003
    Night after night, week after week, month after month, year after year, decade after decade no one did what Maynard did.
    Today's great upper register players, Bergeron, Ingram, Miyashiro, Hession to name just a few, are extraordinary. They have sounds as big as a house in the upper register. Maynard's sound was immense and will likely not ever be duplicated.
    Here is a very young Maynard 51 years ago.
    YouTube - ‪Maynard ferguson - Bill Russo's Titans Symphony part 4 audio‬‏
    Rich T.

9. rowuk

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Without proof, I would disagree.

Maynard was a pioneer. That is one of the things that made him special. He kept trumpet players employed, that made him special. He played high notes in context - that made him special. He spent a lot of time with kids (at his expense) - that made him special. He was so much more than high notes - there was always a show - that made him special. Ask anyone who toured with Maynard how much they learned about life and music. They brought high notes with them - that is NOT what they learned with Maynard.

What high note pioneers are hiring today much less being a father figure?

Nothing wrong with Eric. Just not a successor to Maynard. not even close. Different league.

Everyone can decide how far to open their own eyes and ears.

We will see if the current monsters can withstand the test of time. I personally don't see that many pioneers.

10. schleiman

schleiman Piano User

May 12, 2010
    Austin, TX
    Maybe not many, but we have Wynton! Educationally speaking he is doing a lot to further peoples appreciation of music. I'd call his respectively impressive jazz and classical chops pioneering.