Wayne Bergeron - MacArthur Park

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Catchops, Jul 2, 2011.

1. Trumpet Dreamer

Trumpet Dreamer Mezzo Forte User

Aug 14, 2010
    Jazz Town, USA
    Yes, your summary of Maynard's many talents are spot on. A friend and teacher of mine toured with him...much was learned about not trumpet playing alone, but life in general.

As far as the entire package goes, there is not a single person who comes close. I (like many of you) had the opportunity to hear Maynard a number of times when he was in his prime. It was always such a huge event to hear a trumpet player do what only he could do.

I would argue there are a number of players today that can play the notes, but there is no one who can completely fill the void left by MF.

2. catello

catello Pianissimo User

Dec 14, 2009
    Winter Park, FL
    I was fortunate to see Maynard play a couple of times towards the end of his life at the Musician's Exchange in Fort Lauderdale. While he would still go up top and hit the high notes, and that's what we most remember of his playing, what really impressed me was his phrasing and his improvisation on the melody in the middle and lower ranges as well. He was a great all-around player, who also happened to extend the bar of what trumpet playing could be.

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Yes, perhaps Wynton Marsalis. He also bridges styles and history. He is also out waving the banner in a new AFAIAC wonderful way. He has already touched many lives - and plays high notes..........

4. Trumpet Dreamer

Aug 14, 2010
    Jazz Town, USA
    All fans of MF need to buy the CD "The Ballad Style of Maynard Ferguson".

While he was a monster jazz player, one of his real strengths was ballad style playing.

Maynard had an impact on nearly every trumpet player alive today. He first got my attention in the early 70's while I was a young saxophone student. Both he and Bill Chase influenced most of the musicians I knew at the time.

It is a genuine tribute to Maynard that he not only influenced most (if not all) trumpet players, but also had a huge positive impact on most all musicians. He is certainly missed.

5. AKtrumpet

AKtrumpet Piano User

Jun 4, 2010
    Alaska
    Maynard's high notes were amazing.

Many cats these days can play far higher consistently than Maynard could.

It's his musical expression and ability to manipulate an audience that made him famous.

6. catello

catello Pianissimo User

Dec 14, 2009
    Winter Park, FL
    I had forgotten about Bill Chase and just downloaded the first Chase album from Amazon. Great stuff.

7. BergeronWannabe

BergeronWannabe Piano User

Feb 6, 2007
    He's my hero! :D
    And of course I love Maynard...and there will NEVER be another one.
    Trying to compare current players is futile.
    Have fun,
    -Andrew

8. Trumpet Dreamer

Aug 14, 2010
    Jazz Town, USA
    For those who do not know, Bill Chase did one (or more) tours with Maynard.

9. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    OK - let's not forget about Keith Fiala (I recall he is your teacher) --and although I have never met Keith --- what I do know is that he has taken time to answer many questions I had a year or so ago. Contacting me (a relative anonymous nobody) to give relevant information about high range, playing in general, how to give back and teach/share with others -- and generally good advice about being a class act.
    I am very thankful that he did this -- with no compensation either -- all of his contacts with me were -- free -- and I am thankful for that -- and YES, when I see some guy on TM struggling with range issues -- I always jump in and have him/her check out Keith's websites.
    FYI - he toured with Maynard.:thumbsup:

10. Brad-K

Brad-K Piano User

Jun 18, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2011