Wayne Bergeron - MacArthur Park

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Catchops, Jul 2, 2011.

1. xjb0906

xjb0906 Piano User

May 2, 2009
    Charlotte NC
  2. xjb0906

xjb0906 Piano User

May 2, 2009
    Charlotte NC
    Not putting any of them down. They are all monster players that many on trumpetmaster would sell their own mothers to play like. I couldn't find any takers for my mother so I will have to wait for study and practice to do the job for me.

3. Trumpet Dreamer

Trumpet Dreamer Mezzo Forte User

Aug 14, 2010
    Jazz Town, USA
    Yes, Doc rocks! If we all had his dedication to practice (8 hours a day) perhaps we would have a chance to play not like him, but at least much better.
    It seems that both he and Maynard were heavily influenced by Harry James. Maynard did the "Harry" thing very early in his career.

4. Catchops

Catchops New Friend

Jan 5, 2010
    Kansas City
    Wow...when posting that original video, I never thought there would be such a long thread on this. I agree that it is really futile to compare generations and abilities of players - although it is fun at times. It is like comparing Jim Brown and Emmit Smith - who was the best running back - you really can't because of the differences of eras, equipment, technique, knowledge. In the same way, we really cannot compare the likes of Wayne Bergeron, Wynton Marsalis, Maynard, Miles, Dizzy, Louis, etc. They all have their special historical contributions and talents and each have given us hours of listening pleasure to enjoy and be inspired by.

Thanks for the line of great comments.

5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Had you have posted Waynes work in Gordon Goodwins Big Phat Band for instance, the thread would have gone in a completely different direction!

Original is almost always better than copy.

6. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    how old is your Mother? does she have a good job and health insurance?? ROFL
    personally I think you are better off KEEPING MOM around --- and do the practice on the horn:thumbsup:
    again- how old is she??ROFL

7. xjb0906

xjb0906 Piano User

May 2, 2009
    Charlotte NC
    No job .Good health insurance.

Will keep her and stick to practicing. ;-)

8. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    that is an excellent choice --by the way did you get a gig for the 4th to play the national anthem??

9. Local 357

Local 357 Banned

Jul 1, 2011
    Those uniforms are embarrassing and I've seen the band play before with them. Musicians should not dress like Boy Scouts. Sheesh...

Wayne really plays great. Well schooled strong Upstream chops and therein lies the problem:

Upstream or forward jaw chops do not give a truly big tone. Easier high notes but not the full spectrum of harmonics.

10. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I don't know why people make unqualified comments like this. I guess you should go hear Wayne live. His tone is as "big" as any classical player that I have ever heard. You also need to listen to more than one tune in the extreme octave through a microphone posted to YouTube.

The spectrum of overtones is ALWAYS full when the tone is properly supported. Wayne sounds more brilliant because the higher overtones are even LOUDER. That is due to the efficiency of his playing.

The sound is not predetermined by jaw position or "up/downstream". It is developed in the heads of those that cared to take the time to develop. If it were the case, all lead players would play upstream and all "legit" downstream.

Waynes concept does involve playing lots of lead and that requires a different sound that playing first in the NY Phil. I have heard him live play much less animal stuff that sounds sweet.