Wayne Bergeron..

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by rbdeli, Jul 14, 2009.

1. rbdeli

rbdeli Mezzo Piano User

May 8, 2009
    CO
    I'm ashamed to say I didn't know much about Wayne's playing until I bought his album, Plays Well with Others just three days ago.

I think I underestimated his playing and the excitment of his band.

Wow. I'm not sure how to describe his phenomonel sound in the upper register, but I'll try: It is so clean, well-centered, incredible pitch, effortless and dynamic. His high notes sound so good that they don't really sound all that high. He makes them sound so much like a normal part of a healthy trumpet register.

The 4th song on the album is a ballad. Don't remember the title, but it's my favorite. Now I know why Maynard said Wayne Bergeron is the most musical lead trumpet player he's ever had. That's very high praise, and well deserved.

2. vntgbrslvr

vntgbrslvr Piano User

Oct 10, 2008
    Waukesha, Wisconsin
    I agree....

He is currently my favorite trumpet player (that's still living) to listen to. I'm thinking I might try to catch him live in Chicago this December.

I've seen Maynard, Wynton, and Doc live. I'm set to see Botti this fall...Would love to see Bergeron in a live setting as well some day.

3. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    Bergeron is definitely a stud. From the video clips I've seen of him on Youtube he seems to be a pretty funny guy as well...

4. rbdeli

rbdeli Mezzo Piano User

May 8, 2009
    CO
    I keep trying to describe what's unique about his sound in the upper register, but can't come up with the words?

Very well centered and pure, but not shrill.

What is it that stands above most of the other rangey players?

5. rbdeli

rbdeli Mezzo Piano User

May 8, 2009
    CO
    hey, vntgbslvr:

Noticed that you have two perfected wonder's: 1912 and 1914? Are those trumpets? Not cornets? Why do you have two of those beasts?

Rob

6. Bear

Bear Forte User

Apr 30, 2004
    USA
    Wayne Bergeron is a FANTASTIC player in all aspects of the horn, even "legit" music!! And he's a really approachable person as well who really gives his time to help people out. Good cat. Check out some of his other recordings as well.

7. vntgbrslvr

vntgbrslvr Piano User

Oct 10, 2008
    Waukesha, Wisconsin
    Those are Conn Cornets....just dumb luck...Picked my first up as a triple key so I had a C horn I could play in church....Fell in love with vintage stuff and couldn't stop buying them as they turned up ;)

8. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
  9. miles71

miles71 Mezzo Piano User

Nov 8, 2004
    Maryland
    Wayne will be performing in Bel Air Md on Oct 17 at the Maryland Trumpet Day 09 with the Army Blues Jazz Ensemble. Make the trip is you can, I will be updating the website with some additional hotel deals for anyone attending.

www.domenicomusic.com

TD

10. patdublc

patdublc Pianissimo User

Jul 20, 2006
    Salisbury, MD
    Hey Tony - you already know that I'm there. Wouldn't miss something like this.