Ways to build endurance

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Mamboman, Jan 8, 2012.

1. Mamboman

Mamboman Pianissimo User

Dec 28, 2011
    NSW Australia
    Hey people

I have a quite a small capacity to play for long time (over 30 minutes) without tiring. I was wondering if You guys had any ideas on ways to build endurance. I currently play with very little pressure (I started working on that about 2 months ago) but now I'm looking for ways to build that muscle strength.

Thanks, Mamboman

2. graysono

graysono Mezzo Forte User

Jan 22, 2007
    Hyde Park, Utah
    Long tones. Slurs. Spacing of practice for recovery. Patience.

3. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    yup, do the time and in time you will have the endurance

4. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    What Graysono said.

I also walk a mile a day to help with wind endurance.

Turtle

5. patkins

patkins Forte User

Nov 22, 2010
    Tuscaloosa, AL.
    All the above are good advice. I take breaks when I'm tired then get back at it again.

6. Chuck Cox

Chuck Cox Forte User

Oct 3, 2008
    Cary NC
    What keeps me from playing longer is my breathing. I have to remind myself to take a breather every so often. This is especially true when I play with just a piano and have very few rests written in the piece. ( Oxygen starved ).

7. EdMann

EdMann Mezzo Forte User

Sep 20, 2007
    Los Angeles
    You'll find lots of comments like, "rest as much as you play," and "play softly." All good. No question, but there's something else you'll see tossed around: "gig chops." If you're playing everyday, and playing like you mean it, and doing the first two quoted statements as well, you're going to gain endurance. If you're already reducing your pressure, that will allow you to play longer and help you find those gig chops.

ed

8. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    yeah - gig chops --- at some point in time you are going to have to play for "stretches" of time with little rest. when your tone goes away, then it's time to take a rest. But part of endurance is actually playing to get endurance, and NOT resting every 2 minutes. I mean that is life ---it will take time to build up endurance. I like to use scales, and intervals and arpeggios --- and find a "reasonable range" in your playing so you don't have to strain on the high notes. Then keep playing the scales, and apeggios -- over and over --- add some tonguing occasionally --- for pretty much as long as your good tone is happening --- like 10 or 20 minutes ---- then of course, it becomes --time and persistence,practice and time --- and eventually in 4 weeks, or a month, or a year --you will likely see some "endurance" developing..

9. Local 357

Local 357 Banned

Jul 1, 2011
    A mouthpiece with a soft, well rounded inner rim bite for extended practice time.

Unfortunately I can't name you any specific mouthpieces that are in stock. Most rounded inner rim bite pieces have shallow cups (sometimes helpful for upper register work) and flat rims. I don't much like flat rims either. Of the major manufacturers that I've tried most everything by Markinciewicz is above average. I'm told that Curry has good rims too but only from a second hand report. haven't tried them yet.

Al Cass was the best but he's been dead for 23 years. His son Steve (forum member "Steve Cass" has some but they fetch a freaking fortune.

I can play a four hour big band lead trumpet gig with maybe close to a hundred High F's and such but there is no way i would play for more than ten minutes on anything made by the Vincent Bach Corp.

10. patkins

patkins Forte User

Nov 22, 2010
    Tuscaloosa, AL.
    I lucked up on two vintage Al Cass mouthpieces a 3x4, and a 1-28. They definitely give an edge in playing. I will swith to one of these and can extend my playing time. Also the old Parduba mps are good. I tried the Curry, but the Al Cass mps are superior. Also the GR mps are good.