Ways to build endurance

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Mamboman, Jan 8, 2012.

1. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    The basic approach is very good! We are building fine motor skills, not a sixpack in our face. That means thousands of lower impact exercizes.
    Fine tuning the 10 minute intervals is another story. The proof is always in the pudding.

If you are successful, it pretty much doesn't matter what the naysayers think or post. The real challenge is when we try to take what works for us and move that concept to apply to others. Then it can be useful to have done what we do for a long time.

2. tfresh1

tfresh1 New Friend

Jun 23, 2008
    Portland, OR
    The example I gave was just an example of the 10/5 minute approach. I first heard about this from reading something about Sergei's practice routine designed by his father...a Russian Olympic powerlifting coach. Seems like an odd inspiration for a routine, but it works for me. What is done in the 10-minute blocks was just off the top of my head and is not my actual practice schedule. I first embraced this 10/5 schedule when I was in grad school and was overwhelmed with tings that needed to be prepared within a week. Eight assignments from my teacher, music for my brass quintet, large ensemble music, as well as all my fundamentals, which weren't in the best shape due to my sporadic practice habits up until that point. This was the only way I could find that allowed me to practice everything I needed to practice everyday without blowing out my chops. I do a modified version now that I'm a full time player and don't necessarily have 4 hours a day in the practice room, but here's the idea...

10 - Plog flow studies up to 3rd space C (alternating on mouthpiece and on trumpet)
    5 - rest
    10 - Plog flow studies gradually building up to high C
    5 - rest
    10 - Gekker technical studies (single,double and triple tonguing, as well as simultaneously being scale studies)
    5 - rest
    10 - an exercise I got from when I studied with Laurie Frink that is inspired by Carouso, then a few choruses of improvising along with the Jazz Conception cd's. I know this is a little random, but it works for me.

Then a take at least 3 hours off and do other work. Finale, etc. (I'm also a music copyist)

Afternoon

10 - Irons lip slur routine (#6, 7, 12, 21)
    5 - rest
    10 - ensemble music
    5 - rest
    10 - ensemble music
    5 - rest
    10 - ensemble music
    5 - rest

Then a take at least 3 hours off and do other work. Finale, etc.

Evening
    I usually have evening rehearsals or performances 4-5 nights per week, but on the days without evening sessions, I do another practice session similar to the afternoon one, but with other music.

I have a brass trio The Bards of Stumptown - Home and a jazz/funk band ThunderFUNK - Home that I lead (both of them) in addition to the freelance work I do, so I always have plenty of ensemble music to practice.

I've found that if I am not strictly regimented about my practice schedule (with the timer) then I get carried away and play way too much and blow my chops out. If I were an amateur that only played a few times a week, that wouldn't be as much of a problem. But I have to be in top shape every single day, and this system is the only thing I've found that allows be to have my face on the horn 3-4 hours a day and still feel fresh every morning.

3. mhendricks

mhendricks Pianissimo User

Hi Travis,

Just a quick note to let you know I enjoyed listening to all of the audio tracks on the two websites you linked to... excellent playing and sounds!!

Best,
    Mark

4. tfresh1

tfresh1 New Friend

Jun 23, 2008
    Portland, OR
    Thank you! I appreciate that :-)

5. mike ansberry

mike ansberry Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Clarksville, Tennessee, U
    I always have the same answer to this question. What has worked for me is called the 19/30s exercise. I have struggled with endurance all my life. I would be exhausted at the end of a 45 minute set. After doing this exercise the way Rusty says, I can now play 90 minute funk sets with no problem.

Basically, this is an exercise you use to learn to play with the least amount of muscle tension possible. (hate to use the word tension) I played it every day and then went about my business, not changing the way I was playing jobs. Gradually this way of playing became my standard way of playing. There are no drastic changes to try to deal with.

I have heard that this exercise is very much like Greg Spence's "Mystery to Mastery" series. Guess I should check out his stuff.

If you want a copy of the 19/30's I can send it in a pdf format.

6. tjcombo

tjcombo Forte User

Nov 12, 2012
    Melbourne, Australia
    Thanks Mike, I Googled and found a copy. It's a great story and makes a lot of sense.

Strange, I thought my face was pretty relaxed when playing and my endurance wasn't too bad, but the last couple of weeks, my community band has been practicing Christmas Carols along with a vocalist, so it's like 16 songs times 3 verses with trumpet melody all the way through. All dead easy, but I'm feeling chopped after doing this. In ye olden day brass bands of my youth we used to rotate, but there is no string of trumpets in this band. I'd been doing heaps of lip slur exercises (John Ridgeon and Cliffor Lillya) which have improved my flexibility, control and sound, but I suspect that there's still pressure/tension there. I look forward to adding 19/30 to the regime - if nothing else, the long tones should be good medicine.

7. mhendricks

mhendricks Pianissimo User

This may help...

FREE Special Report - How To Increase Endurance The Easy Way

This special report is based on a forum post I made a while back
    and some of the questions that came up from forum members.

I packaged it all up into a free PDF download, you can get
    it here:

MPH Music - Mark Hendricks - MPHmusic.com

As always, my best to you --

Mark Hendricks

8. tjcombo

tjcombo Forte User

Nov 12, 2012
    Melbourne, Australia
    Yes, I saw your posts a few days back Mark and had already started working on the Arban songs. I'd resolved to start working on hymns to improve things but the Arban material is more interesting and substantial than the hymnal.
    The thing that appealed about 19/30 is simplicity - no charts, just remove the pressure and let the notes out. I see this and your method as complimentary rather than alternatives.