Ways to Improve Your Playing in a Week

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by RHSbigbluemarchingband, Apr 13, 2009.

1. RHSbigbluemarchingband

RHSbigbluemarchingband Mezzo Piano User

Jan 17, 2009
    Alright so this week is spring break and i have my strad home ready to start hammering out scales and try and improve my playing on this week of free time. Marching music and part assignment is coming up and i really want to impress my director over the next month so i can grab the fourth first part slot. It is a race between me and another freshman. People have told me i can play a lot better then him, but i never tried out for the top symphonic band because i overpracticed (bad mistake). Even if the director decides to keep with three trumpet ones (seniority rules over in that case) then me and the other freshman get kicked down to second part. Anyway, I decided why not use spring break to my advantage and make my own mini band camp lol. With a week of time and about an hour or two a day, how should i go about trying to improve playing. My range i am not too concerned about, im pretty satisfied with that, but i would like to clean up my tonguing, possibly teach myself how to double tongue, and clean up my upper register's tone. I can scream up fairly high on a student horn yet to test out the strad. Does anybody have any tips on how to do that in 5 one hour sessions? Also i would love information on how to continue improving after this week. After that i only have 2 twenty minute slots of time after school, but any exercises to help advance my playing would be terrific.

Thanks,
    RHSBBMB

Last edited: Apr 13, 2009
  2. bagmangood

bagmangood Forte User

As maynard once told Miles,
    fix your feet.

Proper body use is a major help in all aspects of trumpet playing,
    I don't think you'll learn to multiple tongue or if it will really clean up your upper register and give you a dubba c, but it will make everything easier.

Standing up straight with your head over your spine will improve air support. and don't lock you legs

3. Bachstul

Bachstul Mezzo Forte User

Jan 25, 2009
    Lip buzzing w/o a mouthpiece.

Playing so softly and quietly so that even the notes are breaking up.

These two will train your aperture to clean up your upper register. After a while, the notes won't break up. Then you'll learn lip/air control in the upper register is only a fraction of a "move" as it is on or under the staff.

I'll think of more later. I bet this thread goes at least six pages long!

4. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    I think the honest answer is that there is noting you can do this week that will yield noticable results next week. What you CAN do is to lay the foundation for a solid warm-up and practice routine that will help you to gradually improve over the next several months.Hopefully rowuk or one of the other pro teachers will have something readily available for you to follow...

5. RHSbigbluemarchingband

Jan 17, 2009
    Today i pretty much did lip slurs galore and then just played around with jazz solos and scales. I kno its not possible to see dramatic results in a week but i want to set a solid foundation like said to improve in a course of about five weeks. My main question is HOW?

6. Snorglorf

Snorglorf Pianissimo User

Nov 13, 2008
    Check out the Patterns For Jazz book and the Raph Rhythm Studies book. Both will twist your mind a little bit. Just work on things you can't do. Learn a bunch of heads that look impossible from a fakebook. Learn solos by ear.

Do things you can't do.

7. RHSbigbluemarchingband

Jan 17, 2009
    with the 1800 dollars my family just spent on my strad i cant spend any more money for a while, so for now i typed in google my favorite big band, glenn miller's orcheastra and a demo of a book came up that was called play lead trumpet with the glenn miller orchestra. it came with four great songs, very challenging, lots of syncopation but i hope it will improve my playing. plus all of a sudden i hate new age music and i am in love with the old big band style, what a shock and im fourteen :shock:

8. Bachstul

Bachstul Mezzo Forte User

Jan 25, 2009
    You want a solid foundation in five weeks and you're young. You practice more than most, are better than most your age and as you request, you want a more solid foundation.

It sounds like you want to build up your chops, I told you on this thread what you need to do for starters. Practice what I mentioned above, and your aperture will go to a nice rich sounding controlled oval, too round and you'll go too dark.

Also, if you want more, set your metronome Andante, and practice the kiss out loud. It's a facial drill. You do it without the pucker. Firm your corners. Use your tongue against your teeth and pull back as you smack to the beat of your metronome. You'll feel it in your corners, then stop.

"WE".............say it to the beat of the metronome stretch the corners back and over pronounciate the "EEEE" part.

"WOW" pronounced "WA_OO". WA, snap the chops wide open. OO snap 'em closed. to the metronome. (Advice from Mr. Leon Merian, not his exact words.)

I wouldn't recommend the pencil exercise yet, I won't suggest it, you play often enough, but if you try it, do it with a very short pencil!!!

Oh, and, take it easy, this isn't the newspaper business, there are no deadlines, music is art, but I do understand the competitive nature we all have. Race ya to the next thread!

Last edited: Apr 13, 2009
  9. RHSbigbluemarchingband

Jan 17, 2009
    Bachstul,
    i think my problem is that i have trouble free buzzing, its very hard for me to do that. how should i fix that. if i do the simple say m and pooh(haha) and place the mouthpiece on i magically make noise. the second the mouthpiece is gone the buzzing either completely stops or is very weak. but ill definitely start working on your other exercises. Also i decided to help and for fun im going to start working on a bunch of glenn miller stuff including st louis blues, tuxedo junction, american patrol and the battle of jeriocho. its all first part and i hope it will help improve my playing skill once i perfect them

10. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    Don't worry about free buzzing now. Spend 15 minutes a day doing pp long tones, start at G in the staff and work up then down, then up then down, a half step at a time. Rest in between each one as long as you played them.

Another 15 minutes a day on Clarke #1,2, and 3. Stretch by tackling the ones which are hard - you know, 17 flats and 34 sharps (well you get the idea).

Then spend some time playing music. There are a lot of lead sheets available for download. Search for them. Go to: IWasDoingAllRight - Jazz Blog, Ear Training, Jazz Trumpet, Atlanta Jazz and work some ear training exercises.

Your liking the old stuff and not new age so much is very encouraging. It gives me hope for your generation. Dare to be different!

Good luck, have fun, and don't overdo it. Get some exercise too - it's very good for playing the trumpet (and lots of other things). Oh, and enjoy being 14. It goes by pretty quickly.

verry