Ways to Improve Your Playing in a Week

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by RHSbigbluemarchingband, Apr 13, 2009.

1. RHSbigbluemarchingband

RHSbigbluemarchingband Mezzo Piano User

Jan 17, 2009
    veery,

i just checked out that site and the amount of information is overwhelming, i have a feeling im going to be referencing that site as much as trumpetmaster, so thanks a lot for that

as for the taste in music, currently the mood is playing the background, i love glenn miller's big band music, my dad normally says it sounds like my grandfather's house, but i love it, its so classy and inspires me to want to be able to play like that...great stuff glenn's era music was

2. Bachstul

Bachstul Mezzo Forte User

Jan 25, 2009
    Yes, it is hard to free buzz, and now you understand the dependence we have on our crutch we lean on. the mouthpiece. It nestles a third of our flesh inside and we can rely on the pressure feed back inside the cup to help vibrate our lip; until we go above mid C. Then, there is no effective feedback pressure, some mash the mp against their lips to cause them to close up, they took a breath and never set the aperture closed before setting on the mp.

Free buzzing will strengthen your chops corner to corner, and you can fix that by doing it. This IS A TEMPORARY exercise. Six weeks(?) Too much can desensitize your upper lip.

MMMM is a good MP set point. When set , be sure your set for a C. I would say Higher if I knew you. Most should set for a G above staff, and should be able to get low with out the embouchure shift, the worst habit in the world is embouchure shifts.

You say your buzzing is getting very weak, I say, arch your tongue up to the roof and blow that cold, fast air!

(PS, I sent you a PM)

3. RHSbigbluemarchingband

Jan 17, 2009
    i guess i got lots of work for the next five weeks, that other freshman better be ready for what ill deal out

4. Bachstul

Jan 25, 2009
    Lots of work..........?

Don't overdo it!!! Remember, the best lessons you've learned are the hard ones you dealt with in the (not so long ago) past!!

5. RHSbigbluemarchingband

Jan 17, 2009
    oh i wont. my director makes me stick with new practice schedule now, i have twenty minute playing, then hour break, then twenty minutes and the trumpet goes away...i got nailed on the head for the nine hours of practicing....

6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    First of all, forget about changing ANYTHING dramatically in a week - except for your attitude. You are not in a race with the other players, you have only your own body and mind to overcome. The more you concentrate on BEATING the competition, the less you deserve the position. When you become in tune with your own body and mind, your playing takes off for everyone to hear.

My suggestion is to throw "hammering out" out of the window. It is true that disciplined practice of scales is beneficial. The same goes for slurs and long tones. That should be done in a very controlled manner, softly and rhythmically precisely. Use a metronome!! If you don't have one, there are enough freeware ones available for the PC.

Assuming that you only have house chores for the week, I would recommend:

This is all to be played as softly as you can, while still getting a decent sound!!!!!!

10 minutes of long tones (5 with the mouthpiece only and 5 with the horn - do not skimp here), 20 minutes of slurs. Take a break of at least 30 minutes. Then 1 hour of easy tunes like from a hymnbook. The idea is not to just play through, but to look at the words and adjust your articulation so that is matches. You could even use this hour to learn to transpose into concert pitch! #1 issue is making MUSIC. Glory and Power require a different type of playing than Sorrow or Meek.

Take your next break, this time more than an hour. Go swimming, jogging or something to build breathing and clear the mind. When you come back, technical studies, scales, intervals, articulation - still played softly!!! This part should be divided into 30 minute sessions. The idea is that you NEVER play until your face is wasted. Tearing the muscles down on one day, wipes out 2 productive days of your vacation.

You should try and play duets with the best players in the band. This type of ensemble play builds intonation and tone faster than anything else!!!!

My take: while it is true that range and technical prowess are an issue for students, the teacher just wants to make great music. That is done by getting a cooperative attitude in the section and an aggressive "improve yourself" attitude for the individual. The other players in the section are not the enemy - our own mind and bodies should be the focus of our attention.

Make MUSIC not WAR! THAT should be the focus for the week! BETTER MUSIC!

7. RHSbigbluemarchingband

Jan 17, 2009
    thanks rowuk ill start working on your methods today and hopefully make that my new practice schedule while incorporating in veery and bachstul's information
    im not too much into hymn songs more of the big band jazz stuff, so ill probably split the hour into two half hours between hymns and jazz

as for the competitive thing our section does it inside of itself, it always has. its a competition for the highest range, endurance and overall skill. this competition between us pushes each of us to try and improve and become the top in the section.

8. Bachstul

Jan 25, 2009
    The Hymns Rowuck speaks of is a point he wishes to stress. Re- read as he spoke of following along what the words in the music say.

Hymns suggested for the power and Glory and Love. I believe what is being said is that you want to spill a flood of emotion to the listener; to draw tears.

One day,you and your trumpet will play a song a listener knows and loved their whole life; a song that means something dear to them. With the right vibrato and crescendo/ diminuendo /dynamics, the experience you give that listener can be something they will never forget, for the rest of their lives. To do this you have to know what the song is about, to "live it". They may not always show gratitude, some are embarrassed to approach and tell you what it meant to them. When you hear applause you have to know it's happening.

9. RHSbigbluemarchingband

Jan 17, 2009
    okay then hymns it is, as for that last paragraph my grandfather cried when i played what a wonderful world solo on flugel it hit him pretty hard is that what your talking about?

10. Bachstul

Jan 25, 2009
    Yes.:-)

Hymns is a suggestion of sorts.
    If you rather, you could even do it with "Home Sweet Home" by Motley Crue!!
    The point is to make the emotion of the words come out of your trumpet.