Ways to Improve Your Playing in a Week

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by RHSbigbluemarchingband, Apr 13, 2009.

1. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Actually, I pick hymns for one primary reason: they are exclusively in a range that is easy to sing on Sunday morning - low! No temptation to play high notes. The secondary reasons are the suitability to adapt articulation to and the true poetic intent. The third reason is the logical harmonies that give us cues about clear intelligent musical form. Fourth is the potential for performance. A congregation is a very thankful audience - once the player is established, a 5 minute improvisation gets an uplifting response! Finally, the cost of music is marginal compared to the results!

2. RHSbigbluemarchingband

RHSbigbluemarchingband Mezzo Piano User

Jan 17, 2009
    i am on a tight budget right now, where can i get a hold of free hymn songs?

Last edited: Apr 15, 2009
  3. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Ask at your church to borrow one.

If not...go into any thrift shop, like Salvation Army and there will most likely be on in the book department.

4. jdostie

jdostie Piano User

Feb 20, 2008
    As mentioned you can try thrift stores, but as a reference I recently bought a hymnal at a Christian bookstore and paid somewhere around $14.00. That's not a lot of money for even someone on a tight budget, and it has over 500 songs in it.

5. Bachstul

Bachstul Mezzo Forte User

Jan 25, 2009
    Churches that use Hymnals mostly are rather small churches, with piano and organ. A Hymn book would be a great book to have! But if you're going to go to a church to look for one, first look for the church, before you look for the book!

I would suggest looking for a rather large church, with a 60-80 member choir, a praise and worship team consisting of drums, piano,guitar, electric and acoustic, keyboard, bass, some woodwinds, and um.........Brass!

An intelligent music director/pastor may be willing to help you and maybe let you sit in with the band at rehearsals, maybe join would be a beneficial help. Some of these guys arrange and transpose there own charts for you and can teach you how. You might sit with one who has been playing trumpet for thirty-five years who could teach you a lot. And they love to share their knowledge. It is a great experience.

The bottom line is a church you first may walk into, is one you're likely to become involved with.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2009
  6. RHSbigbluemarchingband

Jan 17, 2009
    actually my youth group leader at my church(very good church band) is the marching band director at Ridgewood High School, is going to try and get me into the church band which i figure will help my playing greatly and he said he went to the jazz concert and liked my playing so hopefully that will be a good experience

7. Bachstul

Bachstul Mezzo Forte User

Jan 25, 2009
    This "Ridgewood" is another high school, another music director?

Perfect. Point being at this stage you're at you need exposure to as many experienced musicians, instruction and advice from all of them. There will be contradictions among all of the advice given because what works for some does not work for others.

We are all snow flakes with different tooth/lip configurations, size of jaw, oral cavity, tongue length, psychical motor coordination, talent, understanding and patience. Try everything, decide what works for you. Don't overdo anything until you are sure it is right.

8. RHSbigbluemarchingband

Jan 17, 2009
    yes, this ridgewood is another high school, pretty close to mine. we compete at a different level so we dont meet ever, but the director is trying to get me into the church band so i have more playing oppurtunities

also i just realized my band is actually playing a hymn, its obvious its a hymn too i dont know how i didnt realize it. the title gives it away A Southern Hymn Song. I dont know why it took so long for this realization lol. Also i have been playing the double octave C scale in whole notes at pp at the end of my practice sections to see my progress and within a week its nice and clear. The high C is being weak lately but the As and Bs are just flowing out, so thanks for the help

Last edited: Apr 17, 2009