Weak mouth

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by TrumpetsAreFun, Nov 30, 2005.

1. Mikey

Mikey Forte User

Oct 24, 2003
    Egads.........I've been censored!

(And rightly so)...

Sorry about that....

:-P

2. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    TAF,

Do you have a private teacher?

Do you think that I can analyze a physical problem that is subjectively posed by a poster without seeing him/her?

How slanted? Which side? Is it even a correct assessment of the problem?

I'm supposed to somehow be able to guess all that? My guess is that you don't walk around with one side of your face sagging. Therefore you only do it when you play trumpet. If that's not the case you need to consult a doctor.

Last question: do you have a sense of humor? If not, then look at my answer and derive the obvious: if one side is weak, strengthen by using your imagination and consulting your teacher. private or otherwise. Sometimes I answer questions with humor for my own sanity. Otherwise, I really couldn't do this job. Oh, i forgot... I don't get paid to do this.

Lastly, if you think that your lame attempt to put me down with your reference to Big Five Orchestras wounded me somehow, I suggest you write letters to Phil Smith, Dave Bilger, Mike Sachs, Chris Martin, and Charlie Schlueter for answers from now on. Since they don't spend a great deal of time trying to help people with questions they'll consider your question a novelty and actually send you a response, I'll wager.

ML

3. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    Gee... and I thought the Big 5 might be a fishing supply store... based on Manny's first response! LOL. Me bad.

Sorry 'bout that, TAF. It WAS a humorous question though, based in the context of what else has been going on at the same time (that had nothing to do with yourself).

Here is a currently-running thread that may help you: http://www.trumpetmaster.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7376&highlight=

4. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    TAF, sorry, but I gotta go with Manny on this one - you gave some SWAG assessment of your embouchure claiming that it's slanted because it's weak (define slanted) and you all of a sudden want Manny to extrapolate from that a practice regimen that is going to help your particular problem?

It isn't like building embouchure muscle is a mysterious science. Go buy an Arbans or Clarke Technical studies book (if you don't already have one) and get to work - it's not a lot harder than that to work at strengthening your embouchure.

Or better yet, simply grind off about half of a #2 pencil and do Pop's pencil exercise. If you don't know what I'm talking about, do a search - you'll find it.

There - lesson complete. That will be $50, and I don't take checks. :evil:

5. Alex Yates

Alex Yates Forte User

Aug 11, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    This REALLY bothered me so I am going to quickly vent. It has to do with people DARING to utter words and sentiments in "cyber world" that in person, would never be a consideration.

TAF - your "Big 5" statement was mean-spirited, immature, and disrespectful. I didn't say anything at first because this being Manny's forum, it was up to him to respond or not to respond. Now that he has, I feel comfortable telling you that your attempt at a "slap in the face" was completely uncalled for and showed an enormous lack of respect and maturity....for any age. Even if you were a bit miffed about the joking around, your response was way out of line with that comment. If you read the forums enough to know about the "Big 5" discussion, then you have read enough to know there is a lot of humor mixed in with sharing information and delivering guidance. I guarantee, you would never have the fortitude to utter such things to Manny, or anyone of his caliber, if this were a face to face discussion. I also guarantee, I would have no problem saying exactly what I just said looking you straight in the eyes.

You definitely need a teacher and I sure hope you don't treat whomever ends up with you in the same manner.

irishcornetboy likes this.
  6. Mikey

Mikey Forte User

Oct 24, 2003
    Well said, Alex. You have better control of your temper than I do...

:x

7. Rimshot

Rimshot Pianissimo User

Feb 14, 2005
    Atlanta
    I really have no interests here in coming to this guy's defense, but I really think he was referring to this:

www.big5sportinggoods.com

I have few benefits to offer except the benefit of the doubt (once).

8. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    That's what I sorta thought too.. which is why my reference to Cabela's.

9. Alex Yates

Alex Yates Forte User

Aug 11, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Hey Rimshot, after looking at the site, I could see how this misunderstanding might come about. "Big 5 Sporting Goods" is a WEST COAST company. They only have stores in CA, WA, AZ and OR. TAF is from California, so this company name is a recognizable one for him (and some others), but not for those who live outside of that area. (I never heard of them) The timing was such a coincidence with recent events and he left it wide open being curt, with no other explanation. Others saw it the way Manny, Patrick and myself did, so TAF should have been a bit clearer or tried to clarify things. His original post was equally as vague and left a lot of room for interpretation as well. Heck, that is how all of this started! I guess it just boils down to joking around and folks not "getting it" as it was intended. When looking at it from this perspective, TAF could have been making a joke in response to Manny......(I am still not convinced he didn't pick this particular sporting goods store over all of the others he could have mentioned so he could use the "Big 5" phrase. He never mentioned "sporting goods". Had he mentioned "Cabela's" or ANY other place, none of this would have taken place). Regardless, his comment's timing compounded with the recent climate in the lounge and other threads, really left room for suspicion of his sincerity.

As far as my post, while I will back off and apologize to TAF (if he indeed was being sincere), it is still a sentiment I feel in general. I am amazed at how all manners toward fellow humans, as well as respect, or at least civility, between colleagues seem to be left at the door when in cyber world. We are all people behind these words on a screen and the rules of civility should apply in all worlds. Being in a forum shouldn't be a free pass to act out what most would never dare in real life.

TAF, good luck strengthening your chops and finding a teacher. You will feel much better having your concerns addressed by someone in real life who can actually see you.

10. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Well, iffen that don't beat all...

Looks like I owe you a public apology, TAF. The timing of your suggestion a sporting goods store I've never heard of, concurrent with another post about how so-called"Big Five" orchestras are in another league compared to the orchestra I've played in for 25 years, and the "I don't get it" smiley led me to conclude that you had no idea that I was joking about your post.

It was, therefore, my impression that you didn't like my jest and wanted get back at me by implying that you'd get help from someone in a "better" orchestra. That's why I wrote what I did.

Obviously, it was not your intent to attempt to put me down and I reacted strongly to something that was not meant in a mean-spirited way.

For what I wrote, I apologize and take back what was written out of misunderstanding.

10 lb test is clearly enough for a 5 lb weight.

ML