Weakness in the mid range transition

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Jackson Arch, May 18, 2010.

1. mrsemman

mrsemman Piano User

Apr 8, 2010
    Massachusetts
    My practice area is next to my beer making supplies and a couple cases of home brew (Note to self: make more beer).

While I have been at my second comeback for about five weeks now. I now realize that I have been doing it a little different. My practice session begins with long tones, slurs, and tonguing. Then onto technical studies and ending with tunes and bugle playing with a final hymn to warm down. However, I do mix it up a bit. Overall, I play for a little over an hour with rests in between.

Any way, my beer doesn't taste funny after playing near it, so I can't be all that bad.

2. Dark Knight

Dark Knight Pianissimo User

Apr 7, 2010
    Canada
    I am glad that you mentioned this. I read this on Pops Mclaughlin's website. He recommends setting the chops at top line G. Right now I am comfortable with E just below it. I am working on slowly moving up towards that goal. I try to set this up as part of my warm-up before the Etudes.

David.

3. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    I never thought of two different embrochures, good thinking trickg. That's a good thing to investigate. Are you changing your lips in that E,G area?
    If so, I'm guessing that around that area you curl your bottom lip in a little and then go on up the scale once you've adjusted.

4. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    You know, I've been playing long enough that I honestly don't really think about it anymore - I probably curl it a bit as I go higher, but if I do, it's pretty seamless - I play on pretty much the same setting from low F# to High C/D. (2 ledgers) That is unless I'm playing a tune that stays mostly in the upper register - say top line F and above. Then I set a bit differently, but again, I've been playing trumpet for about 29 years, gigging for the last 20+, and I don't really think about it that much.

5. crazyandy88

crazyandy88 Pianissimo User

Nov 3, 2007
    Fayetteville, AR
    Good thought trickg. If this seems to be the problem...then I think Clarke 1 is a good exercise. It allows you to gradually make your way in and out of the trouble register. Since you must play it soft, any drastic mutations will shut you down. Try it.

6. Jackson Arch

Jackson Arch Piano User

Mar 6, 2010
    Oklahoma
    That's a good point for me, Patrick. I don't really think about setting the lips; unless, like you mentioned, I know I'm starting in the upper range and plan to stay there a bit. I'm going to pay attention next time and see if I notice anything. I bet there are some ancient habits in there somewhere. After a couple of minutes of warm up, I can run up the scale a couple of octaves just fine and I know there is no shifting going on then. Where I hit the problem is once warmed up real good, when everything else is going well. If I run the same C to C to C scale then, there's a good chance I'm going to fall off the E, F, or G. Ugly and frustrating. Jumping to those notes is a problem too, but I found out last night that if I think about my breathing more, that problem diminishes. More good advice received. Some of this may just be laziness combined with a desire to sound the way I remember; so, as mentioned, I play more where it works best and do not improve much in that rough spot.

Shouldn't be complaining...when I started back at it 4-5 months ago, I could skin cats and break glass at 100 yards. At least the wife will look at me now without crying or laughing. Thank goodness for the Olds Ambassador. It doesn't complain. White Russian Ambassador....hmmmm.

7. Jackson Arch

Jackson Arch Piano User

Mar 6, 2010
    Oklahoma
    There's another one right there...I called this the "mid range transition". I am thinking about shifting and may be doing that more than I realize. Progress...

:play: Do our heads do that while playing?

8. The Kraken

The Kraken Piano User

Mar 28, 2007
    Gold Coast - 805
    1. In my comeback since Sept 09, this is exactly what I have been doing the last three months and the results are freaking amazing for me. When I first started this routine it was not kind to me, however persistance is prevailing to the point that I surprize myself, no one else of course just myself. :lol: I stay very aware if I start using to much pressure at which time I stop, I developed bad pressure habits in the late sixty's and seventies and I don't want them back.

2. I started listening to trumpet players like Chris Botti, Clifford Brown etc.

3. " STOP YOUR LIMITING BELIEFS " ? Went out the window with #1

The one thing that made more sense to me then anything was a comment I read in one of these trumpet forums, don't recall which one, but it was

"If you can't reach it, or play it, your not there yet, back off a half step and relax, rest, retry it, it will come in it's own time."

Patience, Patience, Patience

I'm Out !! :play:

9. Jackson Arch

Jackson Arch Piano User

Mar 6, 2010
    Oklahoma
    Just have to thank you folks, once again, for the great advice, ideas, and motivation. I don't get much time to practice, but now as I do, I am seeing bad habits and mistakes that I had simply forgotten how to notice or never knew altogether. Seeing a minute level of improvement so far in that E to G range, likely due to all of the coaching on technique. Hopefully some more consistent practice time will fill out those mid-range notes.

Man, ebay is just chock full of Ambassadors these days...

10. scaramanga

scaramanga New Friend

Feb 27, 2010
    London
    Lots of good ideas already. I would add you could do exercizes which go in and out of the problem area. So perhaps start G(2nd line), slowly slur up thru C, E, G (top of stave) and back down. Repeat on 2nd valve etc. By playing a 'good' note then the 'bad' and back - you will make the problem range disappear - in time it will all be 'good'.
    Hope this helps...