Wear Removal Question

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by BrassBandMajor, Jul 5, 2015.

1. BrassBandMajor

BrassBandMajor Fortissimo User

Jan 13, 2015
    London
    Is this wear?
    And can you remove it???
    Or is it relacquering?
    [​IMG]

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    The lacquer is worn off and to fix it you need lacquer. Spot lacquering is not always sensible and depends on the type of original lacquer. On a position like this with constant hand contact, it probably makes more sense to strip, prep and relacquer the horn - far exceeding the true current value of the instrument.

3. stumac

stumac Fortissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    Flinders Vic Australia
    Yes the lacquer was worn away exposing the brass which has tarnished.

The brass can be polished and the area relacquered but it will always show. This is pretty normal on older instruments with nitro-cellulose lacquer.

Do not worry about it. At that price you won't get a new one unless it is a bottom end Chinese or Indian.

Regards, Stuart.

4. NFS_87

NFS_87 Pianissimo User

Jan 25, 2011
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Whenever I come across a horn with the lacquer worn that way, or even once it wears that way from playing it myself I always think of it as something that tells a story of how much the horn has been enjoyed over its life and let it be. Everyone's taste is different on that matter of "patina" but food for thought none the less.

5. Dennis78

Dennis78 Fortissimo User

Feb 1, 2015
    Cincinnati
    I would say no you cannot remove ware, if anything you should be spending time contributing to ware

6. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Knowing more about finishing things, particularly with lacquer, than I did years ago, I've often wondered if it would be feasible to do a spot-lacquering job on something like that. Although lacquer has fumes that are harmful, overall it's a pretty forgiving finish to apply because it becomes part of the layer of finish it's going on. Nitro lacquer is pretty easy to come by as well.

I'm not sure it's advisable in this case, at least not by the OP, but a decent brass tech should be able to clean that up and do a touch-up on it.

7. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Patrick,

there are several reasons why lacquer disappears in a big way. Most time the reason is bad prep or bad care. Very seldom "friction". IF the original lacquer is nitro based, yes they fuse. If it is epoxy base, it does not. If the original prep was marginal, more is waiting to come off to the left and right of that spot.

8. Phil986

Phil986 Forte User

Nov 16, 2009
    Near Portland, OR.
    I see an instrument that's been played. I like it. The wear doesn't bother me one bit as long as the metal underneath is good. I would barely consider it a factor if I was to evaluate the instrument for a buy. In all likelihood, it will not change its lifespan or usability and does not affect its performance.

9. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    All things I already knew, but thanks. ;-)