Web Cam Lesson Opinions

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by JoeCool, Jan 6, 2010.

1. JoeCool

JoeCool New Friend

Dec 9, 2003
    Austin, TX
    I'm thinking of trying these; any opinions?

2. jdostie

jdostie Piano User

Feb 20, 2008
  3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    All I have to say is: good luck!

If you have worked with the teacher in person before, maybe they know enough to really help over the web. If your acquaintance is virtual from the beginning, so is the lesson.

Part of real lessons are unseen, unsaid and perhaps subconciously picked up by both parties. The web is a pretty big filter as only a fraction of the sonic and visual clues are transmitted due to resolution and bandwidth. The power of a good player standing next to you can't be "virtualized".

Good luck!

4. Rocketman

Rocketman New Friend

May 11, 2004
    NC
    Two things...first, it depends a great deal on the teacher. I personally know of a great teacher who can effectively teach over regular telephone and no video at all. As far as I know, he is the only one that can pull that off and that took him many, many years and thousands of lessons to perfect. Second, the Skype connection we have today is a phenomenal resource. For less than $200 (and a good broadband connection, of course), one can view video in high definition and listen to audio in high-fi. I use this method myself and it is just like sitting in front of the student. In case you're interested, I use a Blue Snowball USB mic and a Logitech Quickcam webcam. In addition, Skype-to-Skype calls are FREE anywhere in the world. I'm amazed more people aren't aware of it. IMO, it would be a huge mistake to not take advantage of this technology. --Ken B.

5. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    I think Rowuk and Rocketman bring up good points. In the end, I think it depends on what you're goals are. I have a local private teacher. I also particpate in web cam lessons every few months with another teacher. I use Skype over a high-speed connection.

For me, the virtual lessons seem to work best for occasional instruction that complements my regular lessons. My online teacher is not local, so the web cam is the only option. But I want to work with him, because I feel he has expertise that my regular teacher does not have, and his approach seems to work well with me.

I'm not sure about others' experiences. But if you looking for regular lessons, I think the web cam approach may not be ideal. As Rowuk stated (even with the best equipment), "only a fraction of the sonic and visual clues are transmitted". However, for complementary instruction, I've found that online lessons work well for me.