Website??

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by miles71, Dec 31, 2005.

1. miles71

miles71 Mezzo Piano User

Nov 8, 2004
    Maryland
    I am considering doing a website. I am a HS band director, but would like to do more guest conducting, adjudicating, and trumpet related masterclasses etc. After browsing some of the other websites I have seen I am comfortable in my background for these services. I would even advertise writing dril for marching bands.

How many of you guys have websites and are they helpful?

PS: Let me know if you need a guest conductor, drill writer, etc. :-)

2. eisprl

eisprl Mezzo Piano User

Sep 26, 2004
    Halifax, NS CANADA
    My website is self made. Very basic HTML writing. I went to geocities.com to build it cause it's free as long as you can stand haing a yahoo add on every one of your pages. I include it on my business cards so that people can have a better look at what I do. It is more of an online musical resume/bio.

http://ca.geocities.com/eric_sproul

do you know how to do html? If you go under view in the file menu, and click page source, that is html and what you have to write to get what you see on the page. I only know a very little bit due to a comp science course I took once at school.

there are many many sites on the internet that can help show you how to use html to write a basic webpage. Ther are also some pretty good books. The Analytical Engine is the text we used in our course.

Hope this helps at all.

Eric Sproul

3. abinder

abinder New Friend

Dec 24, 2005
    Heilbronn; germany
    my website is made by myself.I used freeware (1stpage 2000 from evrsoft). It's very easy tu use.

Have a look on my website and click the icon from 1stpage on my site and you will be linked to the website from evrsoft. there you can download the software for free.

GOOD LUCK!

4. Meldog

Meldog Pianissimo User

Nov 24, 2004
    Blaine, ME
    I have my own website also, I actually run a couple websites. It is stil a learning process. I haven't had much success with mine yet but it's just due to my name being lsowly introduced into the area. I know it will be a help once my name is out a bit more. If you don't have HTML coding experience, it's not terribly difficult I would suggest using a portal system like Mambo or e107. They are very easy to use and manage, and you don't need coding expertise unless you want to get fancy.

Adam W. Metzler

5. dnlrsnbm

dnlrsnbm New Friend

Sep 5, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
  6. eoliver

eoliver Pianissimo User

Nov 15, 2004
    Albuquerque, NM
  7. BradHarrison

BradHarrison Pianissimo User

Oct 31, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    I launched my website a few months ago. Right now it's basically an extended bio with a few pictures! I will soon my putting up some audio samples as well as a few more pictures and transcriptions. It hasn't helped me get any gigs yet but I've got a few ideas up my sleeve for that. I'll let you know how they work out in a few months. :D

8. AKart

AKart Pianissimo User

Jun 24, 2005
    Russia, Moscow
    I'va made my site two years ago, using only HTML and standard hosting services like mailing list, guestbook, forum etc.
    Now It's very popular site in Russia, where trumpeters can read interesting articles, listen music and download a lot of notes.

http://trumpet-club.narod.ru/e/index-e.html

I also made my pesonal page http://alkart.com

and a site about baroque trumpet http://baroquetrumpet.alkart.com

So, It's not difficult, come on! Best wishes in sitebuilding to everybody!

:-)

9. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Akart

Hello,

Welcome!

I enjoyed the sounds on your personal website.
    Very nice.

Имейте хороший день!

Chuck

10. bandman

bandman Forte User

Oct 16, 2004
    Lafayette, LA, USA
    Tell me your background. It seems to me that Maryland is a great place to get recognized if you are good, and have considerable experience. I'm a native of Fairfax County in Northern Virginia and if you have one of the better bands in the DC area you should be getting all the work you want.

This year I have done clinics in Texas, California, and Colorado. Over the years I have done them in Illinois, Florida, Alabama, Mississippi, Arizona, Georgia and Arkansas. At first it was fun, but later it just became time away from my own band. When I got back I had double the work to catch up my own students.

I like to judge more than anything now days, but I tend to get called for adjudication clinics and Middle School Band clinics. I think after last week that I may have done my last clinic. It went great but it is time to just settle down, enjoy my own students, and spend as much time with my family as possible.

By the way, there is a group of directors that tend to hire each other. In this business it is as much who you know as it is what you know. Make friends with as many people as possible, never rag on another band director in public, and go to Midwest and meet as many people as possible. Going out to dinner eith the right person may get you more judging gigs than you want.