Wedding Idea?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by TryingTrumpet, Apr 27, 2010.

1. TryingTrumpet

TryingTrumpet New Friend

Apr 21, 2010
    So.... I have this idea running thru my head and I need some opinions from trumpeters out there.

I have only been playing for two years and progressing decently (I am just about comfortable with 16th, triplets, 6/8 time)

I am getting married in August and I'm thinking of playing a piece or two either at the ceremony or reception... any thoughts? (Making it my first audience or recital if you will)

If it is a good idea, what would be a good accompaniment/"help-me" instrument - piano, guitar or harp?

Thanks for any comments or suggestions!

2. gjarrell

gjarrell New Friend

Feb 24, 2010
    Grand Rapids, MI
    Don't - it'd be really weird. Just be the groom. Tradition is tradition, because it works for everyone. Stick to being the secondary center of attention and pay attention, a lot, to your new bride - it's her day. You won't regret that.

3. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Don't do it....the wedding isn't about YOU!

Enjoy the day and your bride.

and....congratulations!

tedh1951 likes this.
  4. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    I gotta disagree. I played all of the pre-music and the processional for all of the bridesmaids at my wedding, and I wouldn't have done it any other way. A good friend of mine, fully AGO degreed, was the organist, so we structured the processional so that I played the Clarke trumpet voluntary for all of the bridesmaids and after the last one was down the aisle, I put the horn on the stand, took my place at the head of the church, he modulated to a new key, opening up the stops along the way, and she processed with her dad, the organ opened up wide. It was a really grand entrance for her and it was quite impressive.

So why did I play at my wedding? At the time, I had specific ideas for what I wanted out of the pre-music, and frankly, I didn't trust any of my friends to do it. At the time I was a full-time Army bandsman and technically I was playing better than I ever had in my life, so I knew that I would play it like I felt it should be played.

Regarding the comments about how the wedding isn't about you, BALONY. It takes two people to get married - a bride AND a groom, and while everyone makes a big deal out of the bride, you aren't going to be doing anything weird by playing some trumpet at your own wedding.

And you'll have plenty of time to pay attention to your wife that day too. For my wedding, I didn't even see my wife until she came through the door during the processional, and by then, my playing was done - I played pre-music and most of the processional, but everything after that was just my friend on the organ.

It's YOUR wedding. Do what you want. If you want to play some trumpet, I say to go for it!

5. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    Ditto. I performed a song on my wedding and regretted it afterwards. I am divorced now, though my performance on the wedding day is hardly the main cause.

6. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Why would you regret it?

I had a similar situation once where I chose not to play. When my Dad passed away, as a veteran, he earned the right for military honors at his funeral. I contemplated playing "Taps" myself, but decided against it so that I could be there with my Mom and sisters. The high school kid they sent out just butchered it. It was terrible, and I have always regretted that I didn't give my Dad that honor and do it myself - at least it would have been done right.

As a side note, my wife and I will have been married for 18 years this August. She STILL brags about me playing trumpet at our wedding.

7. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Let's remember the OP has only been playing about 2 years, and says "I am just about comfortable with 16th, triplets, 6/8 time" ,

He does NOT know what instrument to "help him" and by his own admission it would be hid first public oerformance.

A train wreck waiting to happen, plus the embarrassment it may cause his bride to be.

Don't do it!

8. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Yeah but Chuck, think of how cool it will be if he pulls it off - no one is going to expect a lot from the guy because he is new at it, and I'm certain he'll pick something within his ability range. Heck - even the Clarke trumpet voluntary is ok if he's got the chops, right?

I suppose that my situation was a bit different - I was playing full-time for my job at the time, but I still have absolutely no regrets about doing it.

9. Phil986

Phil986 Forte User

Nov 16, 2009
    Near Portland, OR.
    I really can't see why he would want to make such a gamble. The other side of the equation is: think how uncool it will be if he does not pull it off, and that's the more likely to happen. There is quite a difference between being comfortable with 16th notes and 6/8 and being an Army bandsman at the top of his game. You said you wouldn't have trusted any of your friends to play, would you have trusted someone with 2 yrs of learning?

We all know how beginners sound like. You know how much time and work it takes to stop sounding like a beginner. Is that kind of sound really the "image" of him he would want to display on his wedding day?

In my opinion, if he wants to play something, it might be better to wait for a more private moment at the reception, with just the bride and some friends, when all the ceremonial stuff has been duly consumed.

Just my 2 cents.

10. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    That's not really the point I was trying to make - the point was that it was MY wedding, so I wanted it MY way.

Between now and August, it's quite possible that he can put together something pretty decent, and it will always be something that will be remembered, no matter how well or how badly it goes - who cares if it isn't perfect?

Here's an example. 7 years ago I was not a drummer. It was by chance that my wife and I invited one of her colleagues and her husband over for dinner one night. He was planting a new church in the area and confided that everything was going well heading into the launch service that was going to be coming up in 2 weeks, except for the fact that he couldn't find a drummer for his praise band.

Two weeks later I was sitting behind a borrowed drum kit at the launch service, laying out the drum part for 5 songs that we did that day. It wasn't perfect, but it was more than adequate. I learned 5 songs well enough to play them live in 2 weeks. He's got a few months - why not give him the benefit of the doubt?